Tire grease, stains, and skid marks are a common sight in most driveways. However, you should not have to accept it and live with an unsightly driveway. Pressure washing is a technique which uses high water force (about 1500 psi) to remove dirt, grime, and stubborn marks from your driveway. If you were wondering which one is the best pressure washer for driveways, we selected the top 5 in this article.
How can a pressure washer help clean your driveways?
Your driveways are susceptible to a great deal of everyday wear and tear. This often leaves unsightly marks on the concrete such as tire stains, oil stains, skid marks, grime, paint marks, mud and other types of dirt. Often, cleaning solutions don’t work well enough to remove these stains completely.
Pressure washers use a high force of water, to remove all of these elements from your driveways. The pressure washer can be adjusted to deliver the exact amount of pressure that you need for your driveway or anywhere around the house. It is amazing for cleaning your car as well. You just need to add a foam cannon and turn this into a miracle worker. This is the cannon I bought from Amazon.
Nilfisk-Advance GmbH Compact C PG 1302-8 PCDI X-TRA
For those who are looking for a powerful, yet easy to use pressure washer for your driveway and outdoor area, Nilfisk has designed a beautiful model which is top quality. It is on the high end with its price but it is worth every penny.
- Electric power washer
- Flow rate – 520 l/h
- Operating pressure – 1900 psi
- Auto start and stop function
- Storage space on board for accessories
- 8 m hose
- Weight 11,2 kg
- Telescopic handle
- Different sets of nozzles for different uses; accessories can be changed with just a click of a button
- Attached wheels make it easy to maneuver
- Adjustable height for easy usage
- Quiet machine
- Recommended not to use on old painted walls as the paint might chip off
Due to the high force of the pressure washer, the paint off the walls might chip off, however, you can adjust the pressure nozzle to the minimum force to use on gentler surfaces.
Those looking for an easy to use, a compact pressure washer for their driveways, the Nilfisk Advance is the ideal product for you. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Sun Joe SPX3000
A unique pressure washer which has not one but two different detergent tanks which can carry different detergents at the same time. Offering high-pressure washing for your driveways, The Pressure Joe is one of the best budget options you can find.
- Electric power washer
- Delivers 2030 psi
- Dual detergent tanks giving you the option of storing two different detergents together
- A 34-inch extension wand for hard to reach spots
- 20-foot pressure hose
- Tackle different cleaning projects with ease, with the 0.9L dual detergent tank
- A set of additional tools to help you clean just about any surface with ease
- Auto shut off technology to conserve power and water when not in use
- The connector piece which connects the water hose to the machine is made of a flimsy plastic material which is not long lasting
However, this is a common manufacturing problem, so the company will send you a free brass knob if you let them know that you need one!
A small, powerful but efficient machine, The Pressure Joe helps strip away every bit of dirt, grime, and stains from your driveways with no hassle! Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
WEN PW31 Gas Powered 3100 PSI Pressure Washer
A powerful gasoline pressure washer which works just like magic to remove any signs of grime, dirt, paint, or any unsightly marks from your driveway. If mobility is important to you, Wen PW31 Pressure Washer is definitely worth the buy.
- Delivers 3100 psi
- Pumps 2.5 gallons per minute
- A 30-foot hose
- 5 different nozzles for different cleaning needs
- An onboard soap tank and storage space for nozzles
- An astounding 12 inch attached wheels, sturdy enough to drive through any terrain
- A board nozzle storage area so you can change your nozzles for different cleaning needs easily
- Comfortable hand grip
- Larger than a usual hosepipe
- The snap clips which are to be attached to the wheels can often create a small hole in the soap tank
However, this is easy to fix the problem. By fixing the snap clip on the outside of the wheels instead of the inside, this problem is completely eliminated.
One of the most unique parts of this machine is its design and huge wheels, making it easy and comfortable to carry around. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Oanon BPX4000 3000 PSI Electric Pressure Washer
A powerful machine with a beautiful, sleek design, the Oanon is perfect for any household and driveway cleaning purpose. A quirky green color adds personality and vibrancy to the machine.
- Electric Power Washer
- Delivers 3000 psi
- 19.7 ft hosepipe
- 32,8 ft power cord
- Weight 9,68kg
- 5 adjustable nozzles
- Several other additional accessories
- Easy assembly
- Different nozzles for different applications; adjustable nozzles
- Smart design with back straps to make it easy for you to carry
- The filler cap does not tighten completely
By forcing the filler cap to tighten too far, the cap will simply open up again. However, once you reach a resistance while screwing the cap, don’t try to screw it tighter. The cap will stay on securely.
A light, compact and portable machine with an easy to carry design and great back straps. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Simpson Cleaning MSH3125-S Pressure Washer
For those who are looking for a heavy duty pressure washer to create a clean slate of your dirty driveways, the Simpson Pressure Washer is a gas powered pressure washer which is guaranteed to do the part.
- Delivers 3200 psi
- 25-foot high-pressure hose which is a ¼ inch wide
- 5 different nozzles for different cleaning needs
- An axial cam pump
- 65 pounds
- 10-inch wheels
- A powerful HONDA gas engine ensures that every speck of dirt and grime is cleaned in seconds
- A safety lockout feature on the spray gun for added safety for the user
- An onboard storage area for placing the different nozzles and changing them with ease according to your cleaning needs
- The Simpson pressure washer does not have a detergent tank unlike other models of its kind, however, you can simply place any jug or container of your choice with a detergent and water mix, using it with the hose to spray your power washer
As soon as you use the Honda engine, you would be immediately satisfied with the superior make of the Simpson pressure washer. It has been built to be sturdy and rugged, tough for all terrains. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
How to properly pressure wash your driveway
- Using a broom, sweep off any debris, dust, and residue from your driveway.
- Cover up the nearby walls and doors with plastic sheeting and secure it with painters tape for protection.
- It is important to read the manual for specific instructions for your pressure washer before you begin.
- Take your bottle of spray degreaser and spritz it all over your concrete from a height of 6 inches above the concrete. Use a stiff brush or the attachment tool on your pressure washer to scrub the degreaser into the concrete surface.
- Attach the correct tip on the pressure washer, typically labeled as ‘soap.’
- The next step is to connect the right pressure washer wand and hose to your pressure washer. Attach your garden hose to the pressure washer and turn on the water.
- There will be a detergent siphon tube which you have to place into the detergent container. The tube will start to bring up the detergent into the water stream of the spray wand. Be sure to wear protective gloves while doing this.
- Keep the spray wand at a distance of 8 to 18 inches from your concrete driveway. Spray the detergent onto the concrete in a smooth and controlled manner. Let this detergent sit undisturbed on the concrete for about 5 minutes.
- Change the tip on your pressure washer to the tip labeled as ’25 degree’. Hold down the handle on your pressure washer and work your way back and forth in a smooth motion to pressure wash the concrete driveway. Overlap each of the strokes by 6 to 8 inches. If there are any stubborn marks or stains, you can go closer, about 3 to 4 inches from the concrete and pressure wash the area.
- Pour the waterproof seal into the paint pan and dip the roller to the seal. Start at the middle of the concrete and work your way outwards, sealing the concrete driveway. Wait for 24 hours till you park.
What is better for your driveway – gas or electric pressure washer
When it comes to a high powered job, nothing can be better than a gas pressure washer. While an electric pressure washer can be great for milder jobs and works well without you having to worry about gasoline, a gas pressure washer can deliver far more heavy duty pressure washing and handle tougher stains and spots better as compared to an electric pressure washer.
While most electric pressure washers offer a PSI of 1000 to 2400 units, a gas pressure washer will offer you with 2000 to 4900 units of PSI. The gas pressure washer offers more cleaning power than an electric one.
A gas pressure washer is also far more durable and sustainable as compared to an electric pressure washer, which might cost less initially, but has more hidden costs later.
Gas pressure washers are also cordless, allowing you to use them much more comfortably than an electric pressure washer which has a cord and also the risk of getting shocks!
How to choose a good pressure washer
Here are a few factors that will help you choose a good pressure washer:
- Depending upon your usage, you can decide whether you want to opt for a commercial model or a more economical model. If you plan on using your pressure washer for heavy duty usage for more than 100 hours a year, you would have to opt for a commercial model. However, for homeowners, an inexpensive model would do just great.
- Depending upon your needs and requirements, you can choose between a gas pressure washer or an electric pressure washer. If you are looking for more heavy duty cleaning, then opting for a gas pressure washer is a better choice. If you are looking to clean your car or your deck simply, an electric pressure washer will do fine. However, to clean your concrete driveway, you will need a more powerful gas pressure washer.
- It is important to research well and find out details about the different kinds of pressure washers before you can make the right choice for your specific needs and requirements.
- In case you need to use hot water for your pressure washing needs, you will need to find a pressure washer that has a heating coil.
What water flow and pressure specs do you need
The pressure on a pressure washer has the unit PSI or pounds per square inch. Depending upon what you plan on pressure cleaning, you will need different pressure on your pressure washer.
If you are planning on cleaning items like your car, bikes, and scooters or BBQ grills, a PSI of 750 to 1500 PSI would be perfect.
For cleaning fences, patio and decks, boats, you would need a water pressure of 1500 to 2600 PSI.
Lastly, for cleaning your asphalt driveways and concrete driveways, industrial equipment, for paint stripping, etc. the required PSI is 3000 to 4000.
The water flow is another important aspect to keep in mind for your pressure washer as this is what is responsible for flushing away the broken up matter. The measuring unit of Water flow is GPM or gallons per minute.
The more the GPM, the faster you can flush and remove the debris and broken up matter from the surface. Here is a list that can help you understand better:
- 2 GPM requires 14 minutes of cleaning time
- 2.5 GPM requires 10 minutes of cleaning time
- 3 GPM requires 8 minutes of cleaning time
- 3.5 GPM requires 6 minutes of cleaning time
- 4 GPM requires 4 minutes of cleaning time
What kind of nozzles should you use for your driveway
- The most common kind of nozzles which you can use for cleaning your driveway is the 25 degrees Green Tip Nozzle. This nozzle creates a wide sheet of water which makes it perfect for cleaning and lifting dirt and debris off your driveway.
- The soap Black Tip nozzle is also used for your driveway, as it has the widest degree (65 degrees) and helps to spread the detergent over the surface of your driveway.
What kind of detergent dispenser do you need
You can use just about any kind of plastic detergent dispenser or a detergent container for your pressure washer. You will find a place where you can attach this detergent dispenser to your pressure washer so that you don’t need to carry it around with you all the time. After you have attached the detergent dispenser to your pressure washer, simply dip the nozzle into the detergent container and let the spray wand siphon the detergent from the container.
While some pressure washers will come with a built-in the detergent tank or a detergent dispenser, if you purchase one without it, you can simply use the plastic container that the detergent came in as your detergent container for the pressure washer.