Mold is not only unsightly and makes your windows appear dirty, but it is also hazardous for your health. Black mold is a microscopic fungus which grows in preferably dark and damp conditions. Once the black mold starts growing on your windows, they can begin spreading their spores all over your home, causing plenty of health issues. But don’t despair, here is everything you need to know about black mold on windows and a few tips on how to get rid of it!
How and why does black mold grow on windows?
Black mold grows on your windows due to condensation, or even something as simple as lack of ventilation. As long as your windows are getting a constant exposure of moisture, the black mold can continue growing and spreading.
Is black mold on your windows dangerous?
The black mold which grows on your windows is actually hazardous for all those who are living in your home. Not only can the black mold spores be dispersed through your home by water, but also by air. So you might end up spreading the mold spores around your home as you try to clean it!
Black mold is especially dangerous for those individuals who have a weakened immune system, or those with respiratory issues. However, the mere existence of black mold in your home can cause a lot of health issues for individuals who gain exposure to it.
Some of the health issues are:
- Red eyes
- Itchy throat and eyes
- Respiratory problems
- Breathing issues
How can you remove black mold from your windows?
There are a few methods that you can use to remove black mold from your windows. The main thing to be careful of is to make sure that you carefully get rid of all the black mold as well as the black mold spores, without spreading them around in your home. You also need to remove all forms of moisture, condensation, and dampness from your windows, which will kill the black mold and also prevent it from growing back.
Here are some of the methods you can use to remove black mold from your windows:
How to remove black mold from your windows by dry cleaning
The very first thing you can do to remove the black mold from your windows is to dry clean your windows with a vacuum cleaner. Here is how you can do it:
- Make sure that you have opened your windows before you do this. Wear a respiratory mask, protective eye gear, and gloves when you are doing this, as you don’t want to inhale any of the black mold spores.
- Use the narrow nozzle on your vacuum cleaner and clean your entire window, including the window sill and the areas in between the window panes thoroughly.
- Once you have done this, wipe down your whole vacuum cleaner with a damp cloth dipped in vinegar and water.
How to remove black mold from your windows using white vinegar
The best way to disinfect your windows and kill the black mold is to use vinegar. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a spray bottle and fill it up with lukewarm water and vinegar. Shake it well to create a disinfecting solution.
- Spray the vinegar solution on the affected areas of your window and allow it to sit undisturbed for just a few minutes.
- Now, take a clean cloth and wipe down your entire window.
- Make sure that you clean the cloth entirely and disinfect your clothes as well so that the mold spores do not spread throughout your house through your clothes or the cloth.
How to remove black mold from your windows using bleach
One of the best ways to altogether remove black mold from your windows is to use bleach as a cleaning solution, which will effectively kill the black mold and its spores. Here is how you can do it:
Take a large bucket and fill it up with 3 parts of warm water and 1 part of bleach.
- Take a nylon brush or a sponge and dip it into this bucket. Make sure that you are wearing protective gloves, an eye and a mouth mask, and also disposable clothes when you are doing this.
- Clean your window thoroughly using the sponge or the nylon brush. Continuously dip the brush or the sponge into the bleach solution bucket and keep wiping it along the window sill, pane and the little areas in between as well.
- Wipe away all of the solutions using a dry, clean cloth and dispose of the cloth after wiping. Allow your window to dry entirely before you shut it again.
How can you prevent black mold from growing back?
After you clean your windows thoroughly and get rid of the black mold, it is essential to take a few steps to prevent it from reoccurring. Here is what you can do about it:
The main reason why black mold is growing on your windows is due to the presence of moisture. By increasing the ventilation of your room and preventing condensation, you can prevent the black mold from re-growing on your window.
Get rid of moisture
As you already know, moisture is the most significant cause for the growth of black mold on your windows. One way you can eliminate moisture from your windows is to regularly wipe down your windows with a dry cloth and use a vacuum cleaner to clean your windows and the crevices in between. You can also use a seal around your windows so that water does not seep in and settle down, thus causing black mold.
Use a special cleaning solution
It is essential that you regularly keep your windows clean and disinfect them from time to time to prevent the regrowth of black mold on your windows. Create a solution made of water, baking soda and vinegar and put this into a spray bottle. Use this spray for cleaning your windows regularly. It will disinfect your windows, kill any mold and mold spores, and also prevent it from reoccurring.