Dirty baseboards are far more dangerous than just ruining the visual appeal of your home. The dirt can accumulate over time and even develop mold, mites, and a host of other issues for your home. However, if you have a bad back, bending over to clean your baseboard can be an issue. Luckily there is an easy way to clean baseboards without bending over. Here are all the tricks that you can use.
We love the Baseboard Buddy Cleaning Tool. It does an amazing job on our baseboards without having to feel that annoying back pain. You can read more on our impressions with the Baseboard Buddy further down in this article.
What material are baseboards made of?
Typically, baseboards mainly come in wood, hemlock or pine. However, nowadays, you can even make baseboards in other materials such as medium-density fiberboard baseboards (MDF). Compared to wood, MDF is far more inexpensive, economical, and much easier to clean and maintain.
When it comes to the natural look and feel of wood, you cannot go wrong with natural wood baseboards. But wood can attract dirt, dust and even mold if not maintained regularly. With the right care and maintenance, you can keep your baseboards looking new and beautiful all the time.
How to clean baseboards using vinegar and water
One of the easiest ways to give your baseboards thorough cleaning is to use a solution of vinegar and water, and of course, a bucket and a mop. Here is how you can do it:
- Grab hold of a bucket and a mop with an extendable handle so that you can extend the handle as much as you need to clean your baseboards without having to bend your back.
- Fill in your bucket with water and one cup of distilled white vinegar.
- Mix this well to create a cleaning solution.
- Now, without having to bend over, you can simply use your mop to clean your baseboard and remove all of the stubborn stains, dirt, and even odors from your baseboard easily.
- Once you finish wiping down your baseboards with the vinegar and water solution, you can wipe the area again using plain, clean water, to get rid of any excess vinegar.
- Let the area air dry, or dry it off using a clean, dry mop.
How to clean baseboards using a vacuum cleaner
For this cleaning method, you will have to use a canister vacuum cleaner and not a handheld vacuum cleaner, so that you can vacuum without having to bend down. Here is how you can do it:
- You can use the attachment hose on your vacuum cleaner so that you can easily reach the corners and hard to reach areas on your baseboard without having to bend down.
- Vacuum your baseboard 2 or 3 times to make sure that you target all of the dust and dirt from this area. You can always use the long, detachable wands to ensure that you don’t need to bend down when you are cleaning the baseboard.
How to clean baseboards using a soft-bristled broom
Here is another excellent cleaning method for your baseboard which you can regularly use, without having to bend and hurt your back while you do it! Here is how you can do it:
- You can use a soft-bristled broom with a long handle for this so that you don’t need to bend down while cleaning your baseboard.
- Simply sweep your baseboard area one or two times and collect the dirt in one corner with your soft-bristled broom.
- Once you collect all the dirt, simply use your vacuum cleaner to vacuum up the dust and debris from the corner. For more thorough cleaning, you can even vacuum over the baseboard area once using the long attachment hose of your vacuum cleaner.
- Finally, simply dump out the contents of your vacuum cleaner in the bin and you are done! You can use this cleaning method 3 times a week to keep your baseboards clean regularly.
How to clean your baseboard with fabric softener sheets
Here is another excellent method that you can use to clean your baseboards without having to bend down. The properties of the fabric softener sheets will also create a sort of dust repelling barrier on your baseboards. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a few fabric softener sheets and attach them to the end of your broom (you can use rubber bands or clips for this).
- Using your broom with the fabric softener sheets at the end, sweep your baseboards as you would typically do. The fabric softener sheets will pick up dirt, grime, and dust residue from your baseboards easily.
- Remember to change the fabric softener sheets and attach a new one if the old one becomes dirty.
- Finally, you can dispose of the sheets once you finish cleaning your baseboards.
How to clean your baseboards with soap and water
Of course, one of the most comfortable and most effective methods to clean your baseboards is to use a solution of soap and water naturally. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a large bucket and add some lukewarm water and liquid soap into it.
- Mix this well to create a soapy solution.
- Now, you can either take a mop, or you can take the long toilet cleaning wand and attach an old, clean cloth to it.
- Using this tool, dip your wand or mop into the soapy bucket and clean your baseboards.
- Once you finish this method, remember to attach a clean, dry cloth or take a dry mop and sweep over the baseboards once again so that they are not too moist.
- Allow the baseboards to dry naturally.
How to clean your baseboards with a microfiber cloth
A microfiber cloth is especially great for cleaning your baseboards as it allows you to pick up the fine particles of dust, debris, and dirt from your baseboards. Here is how you can do it:
- Create a soap and water solution or a vinegar and water solution in a large bucket. Do this by adding water to a bucket, and then adding a few drops of liquid soap, or one cup of white, distilled vinegar into the bucket.
- Mix this well to create your cleaning solution.
- Now, take a large yardstick, or simply attach the microfiber cloth to your broom using a few clips or some rubber bands. Keep a few microfiber cloths handy in case you need to change the previous dirty cloth.
- Dip the microfiber cloth into the soap and water or vinegar and water solution and use this to wipe down your baseboards thoroughly.
- Wring out any excess water from the cloth and wipe it down till it is completely clean.
- Finally, wipe down your baseboards with a clean and dry microfiber cloth and allow it to air dry.
Best tools and cleaners for baseboards
With so many different products today, it is not hard to find something that will make your task much much easier. Here are the products we use on our baseboards:
Baseboard Buddy Cleaning Tool
Baseboard Buddy is one of the best tools you can find. It is a great way to tackle the baseboards without bending over. It is lightweight and with adjustable length (up to four feet), which makes it perfect for anyone. The 360-degree swivel head allows you to get into every corner. You can use it both wet and dry, with or without a cleaning solution. Simply walk around and glide.Check the price on Amazon
When it comes to cleaning your baseboards, sometimes you need a little helping hand, especially if you have back problems. Baseboard Buddy Cleaning Tool is a great cleaning apparatus that comes with an adjustable handle and reusable cleaning pads.
The adjustable handle means that you can extend or retract it as you need, giving you access to cleaning your baseboards without having to bend over.
A stiff cleaning tool will not allow you to clean every angle of your baseboard correctly, which is why the Baseboard Buddy Cleaning Tool has a 360-degree swivel handle. You can easily maneuver the head of the cleaning tool to reach all those corners and angles, which are usually so difficult to clean.
The best part about your Baseboard Buddy Cleaning Tool is that you can use the cleaning pads in their dry state or wet state, according to your own specific cleaning needs! Wash, dry, and reuse it when you need to.
Why We Like It:
- The adjustable handle means that you can extend the cleaning tool up to 60 inches to reach all those hard to get to places
- Reuse the cleaning pads as an economical option
- Use the cleaning pads either wet or dry according to your cleaning requirements
- Flexible design with 360-degree swivel head for cleaning all angles
What We Don’t Like:
- The extendable handle might unscrew with regular wear and tear and come off
The fix: You can duct tape the end of the extendable handle to the swivel head, or even glue it together, so it doesn’t come off anymore!
Why You Should Get It:
Whether you have back problems, need to reach high places and cannot, or need a helping hand, the Baseboard Buddy Cleaning Tool is the best option for you on the market. The cleaning tool comes with reusable cleaning pads, so no more wastage! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
If you have wooden baseboards, then the hardwood cleaner from Bona will be your best ally when dealing with dust dirt or any other hard-to-remove stain. It is a multifunctional cleaner that you can use on both the baseboards and your gorgeous floors. The cleaner has a very low COV emission, which makes it GREENGUARD GOLD certified. It is safe for you and the environment.Check the price on Amazon
For a thorough cleaning of your baseboards, you need a powerful cleaner at hand. When it comes to finding the best cleaner for baseboards, then Bona Cleaner is all you need to have at home. You can use this cleaner either with a cleaning tool or just with a damp rag, whichever you find more convenient.
The cleaning formula is thoroughly water-based, so it dries up very quickly without leaving behind any sticky or wet residue on your baseboards.
Having children or pets at home means that you need to use a safe cleaning formula that won’t cause any harm. Thankfully, Bona Cleaner is not only safe for your pets and children, but it is also safe for the environment!
Finally, when it comes to finding an excellent cleaner for your baseboards, you need to find one which has the least amount of VOC emissions. You will find all of this in the best cleaner for your baseboards, Bona Cleaner.
Why We Like It:
- Gentle enough to use regularly for your baseboards without causing any damage; pH neutral formula
- Does not leave behind any dull, sticky residue and dries fast
- Has extremely low VOC emissions
- A water-based solution which is safe for your home, your family and for the environment
What We Don’t Like:
- You might leave behind streaks in case you overuse the product or use too little of it
The fix: Spray the Bona Cleaner directly on the area and clean it up immediately. If you need, you can spray again and wipe it with a damp cloth, which will get rid of the streaks.
Why You Should Get It:
When looking for the gentlest, pH neutral formula which removes all traces of dirt, grime, and dust from your baseboards, Bona Cleaner is the best formula on the market for all your needs. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Microfiber Flexible Mop
Sometimes a good old mop can be a great solution. But this is not a regular mop. The great thing about this one is the ability to flex, which gives you an angle of 90 degrees. This is perfect when you want to run over the baseboards and the floors in a single motion. The microfiber towel that comes with the mop is high quality, and it is excellent for both wet and dry cleaning.Check the price on Amazon
For all those homeowners who are looking for an easy way to clean your baseboards without having to bend over, having a good mop can do just the trick for you. When it comes to finding an excellent mop for this job, the Microfiber Flexible Mop is a great choice.
What you need is a great mop with a long handle, allowing you to clean every part of your baseboards without having to bend over. The Microfiber Flexible Mop lets you do just that.
The best part is, the mop works great, whether you need a dry cleaning or a wet one! Dip the Microfiber Flexible Mop in lukewarm water with cleaning formula, and clean your baseboards in no time.
For a quick, regular cleaning session, you can use the dry, microfiber cloth for cleaning to give you excellent results. You can wash the microfiber cloth, dry, and then reuse it again when you need to!
Why We Like It:
- The long handle lets you reach your baseboards without having to bend over
- Use the microfiber cloth dry or wet, whichever you need
- The handle of the mop is flexible in case you need to bend it to get to angles on your baseboard
- Reuse the mop head and microfiber cloth by washing and drying by hand or in the washer
What We Don’t Like:
- The mop does not always glide smoothly on the floor during cleaning
The fix: You either need to give your microfiber cloth a good cleaning, or maybe you need to use the mop wet instead of dry, and you will get a smooth gliding action!
Why You Should Get It:
When it comes to cleaning your baseboards without bending over, a flexible mop can be your best friend. The Microfiber Flexible Mop helps you keep your baseboards clean without hassle. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.