Bamboo steamers are one of the simplest, yet greatest creations when it comes to cooking. Dumplings are something which everyone loves to eat, and a bamboo steamer at home makes it so much easier to cook them whenever you wish to have some delicious treats. If you are worried about how to clean a bamboo steamer, fret no more! Below are some of the easiest ways in which you can clean a bamboo steamer at home!
We will also share with you our favorite brushes and sponges, such as the Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Dishwand, that make this cleaning task super easy and fast!
Why do you need to clean a bamboo steamer?
Bamboo steamers use of heat and steam to cook your meals. Since the contraption is made of bamboo and is entirely organic, it is possible for the steam, or even the sticky bits of the food sometimes to get stuck in the bamboo steamer.
Cleaning and maintaining your bamboo steamer is essential; it ensures proper hygiene and allows your bamboo steamer to look and feel as good as new every single time. Regular cleaning prevents bacteria to grow on the steamer and put your health in danger.
How to clean a bamboo steamer with soap and water
The easiest way to clean your bamboo steamer is to use soap and water. Here is how you can wash your bamboo steamer using this method:
- Using warm or even hot water, rinse the bamboo steamer thoroughly. Turn the bamboo steamer over to ensure that you clean both the top as well as the bottom of the steamer.
- In a large pot (big enough to fit your bamboo steamer), place the steam inside with hot water and dishwashing liquid.
- Allow the bamboo steamer to soak in for a while, and using a soft, gentle brush, exfoliate the surface, both on top bottom.
- Do not soak the bamboo steamer for too long in the soapy water, as bamboo, by nature, is very porous. It might cause the bamboo steamer to absorb the soapy water and make it smell like soap the next time you cook.
- Hand dry the bamboo steamer and leave it out on a drying rack to dry naturally.
How to clean your bamboo steamer with a tea bag
The safest way to clean a bamboo steamer is actually to use organic ingredients as opposed to harsh chemicals. Here is how you can clean your bamboo steamer using a tea bag.
- Get a black tea bag and soak it in hot water.
- Once the tea bag is soaked, take it and gently slide it along the surface of your bamboo steamer to clean it. The tannic acid in the black tea will naturally clean out the bamboo steamer without causing any damage.
- Be very gentle when using the tea bag; otherwise, the bag could tear, and the tea would spill out.
- Once this is done, rinse out the bamboo steamer in clean, warm water and allow it to dry naturally.
How to clean your bamboo steamer with a lemon
As we already know, lemon is one of the best natural ingredients that you can use to clean in your home. It is not too abrasive and if used well, can clean your bamboo steamer efficiently and remove any stains and smells from it.
- Cut a lemon into equally sized wedges. Take one of the lemon wedges and start to rub it across the surface of the bamboo steamer.
- The natural acidity of the lemon will remove any stains or odors that might have deposited on your bamboo steamer.
- Using the other wedge of lemon, you can clean the outer surface of the bamboo steamer as well.
- Finally, rinse out your bamboo steamer in warm water to remove the remaining lemon juice. Allow the steamer to dry naturally. Your bamboo steamer will be free of any smells or stains.
How to clean your bamboo steamer with a nail brush
Having a spare nail brush handy can be effective when you are trying to clean your bamboo steamer. This method works well for those bamboo steamers which might have some stubborn stains or smells on them.
- If you have a particularly fragile bamboo steamer, it is best to avoid running the steamer directly under warm or hot water. Instead, use a hot towel to wipe down the bamboo steamer properly.
- You can use either a mixture of water and vinegar or a combination of water and baking soda for this method. Be sure to dilute the ingredients with water well, as you don’t want to cause any residue or even damage to your bamboo steamer.
- Using your nail brush, apply the water and vinegar or water and baking soda mixture to your bamboo steamer.
- Now, gently use the nail brush to exfoliate the surface of the bamboo steamer. Do not apply too much pressure, just enough to remove any stains you might see on your steamer.
- If required, you can even add some water and dishwashing soap to clean out your bamboo steamer more effectively.
- Once the stains have been removed, use the hot water soaked cloth once again to wipe down the bamboo steamer properly. Make sure that you clean the steamer well, as you do not want it to smell like vinegar or dishwashing soap once you are done.
How to clean your bamboo steamer using a nylon brush
Sometimes, the best way to clean our bamboo steamer is to get down and scrub it out. Using a nylon brush is perfect for this method as it is not too harsh to damage the bamboo but will effective enough to clean the bamboo steamer.
- In a pan, boil about an inch of water. Once the water comes to a boil, place the bamboo steamer on top of the water so that the steam can deep cleanse the bamboo.
- Using a soft nylon brush, add some dishwashing soap and warm water and gently scrub the bamboo steamer. Be sure not to use too much force or pressure and allow the natural friction of the soft brush to work on the steamer.
- Rinse out the bamboo steamer in warm water and allow it to dry.
Best tools for cleaning your bamboo steamer
While all of the methods from above will help you to get rid of the dirt from your bamboo steamer, you still need the right tools. Below are three of the best brushes and sponges that can remove even the most stubborn dirt and stains from the steamer and make your job easier!
Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Dishwand
Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Dishwand is an excellent sponge that removes any stain without creating scratches on your steamer. You can use it on any surface in your home. Non-stick cookware included. Just put some of your favorite us dish soap in the handle and enjoy a mess-free cleaning. Helps you save soap as well.Check the price on Amazon
When it comes to cleaning a bamboo steamer, finding the Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Dishwand seems like a blessing! This cleaner is a teardrop-shaped sponge attached to a hollow handle, which you can fill in with your favorite dish soap.
The long handle allows you to scrub your bamboo cleaner without getting your hands messy.
You do not need to worry about pouring liquid soap into your bamboo cleaner. The hollow wand of the product comes with a button, which releases a squirt of dishwashing soap with just a press!
The teardrop-shaped sponge allows you to target all the nooks and crannies of your bamboo steamer, giving it a thorough cleaning.
Why We Like It:
- The product comes in a pack of 4, so you can easily replace the old sponge once you are done using it.
- Each sponge can be reused many times.
- The teardrop-shaped sponge is strategically designed to fit into the little corners and spaces of the bamboo cleaner to clean it thoroughly.
- The long handle allows you to dispose of the liquid soap and scrub without getting your hands dirty.
- The easy to use button technology allows you to squirt liquid soap with just the press of a button.
What We Don’t Like:
- If you happen to keep the wand with the sponge facing downwards or even horizontally, the diluted liquid dish soap can sometimes leak out from the sponge, causing wastage.
However, the solution to this is pretty straightforward! Just place the wand with the sponge side facing upwards so that the liquid soap does not trickle down till the sponge and leak out!
Why You Should Get It:
For those who do not like to dip their hands into the dishwashing water, or who might even have sensitive skin and do not wish to get exposed to soap or water, the Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Dishwand is the perfect product for you. With just the press of a button, dispose soap and clean your bamboo steamer with perfection! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
OXO Tot Bottle Brush
The brush head contains two types of fibers for gentle or harsh scrubbing. The neck is flexible to help you reach any hard to reach spots. It is very soft and comfortable to hold even with wet hands. As an addition to all this, the brush has a silicone nipple cleaner integrated with the design. This is a multifunctional brush that you can use in your home.Check the price on Amazon
Finding a good, long-handled brush for cleaning your bamboo steamer can be a huge advantage. The OXO Brush has been specifically designed to have a long handle to help you clean and scrub down on your bamboo steamer without getting your hands dirty.
The brush head on the OXO brush has two types of bristles; one lets you clean your bamboo steamer gently, while the other brush is for more severe scrubbing.
The flexible head of the OXO Brush allows you to bend the brush and reach those hard to reach corners on your bamboo steamer, thus, giving it a thorough cleaning.
The long handle comes with an easy-grip which lets you hold a tight grasp on the OXO brush while you scrub down on your bamboo steamer.
Why We Like It:
- The bristles of the brush are not at all abrasive; however, they are powerful. It gives your bamboo steamer a thorough cleaning without damaging the surface.
- You can use the dual brush bristles for both gentle as well as heavy duty cleaning and scrubbing.
- The long handle of the OXO Brush is perfect for those who do not want to get their hands wet while cleaning the bamboo steamer.
- The brush also comes with a nipple cleaner which can be used to clean the slits and corners of your bamboo steamer with accuracy.
What We Don’t Like:
- The brush bristles can wear out with regular use if not cared for properly.
However, the simple fix to this problem is that after every use, make sure to dry off the bristles properly before storing them, thus, helping the hairs to last longer.
Why You Should Get It:
Finding a handy bamboo steamer which has soft bristles, yet they are firm enough to clean your bamboo steamer is always a boon. The OXO Brush is firm, yet gentle enough not to damage your bamboo steamer. The dual brush bristle works perfectly for targeting any food residue and stains. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Pccooler Dishwashing Scrub Gloves
Very durable silicone gloves that easily replace any sponge, so you don’t need to spend money on new sponges every few days. They are water and oilproof and will protect your hands from the harsh dish soap chemicals. The silicon spikes on the inside of the gloves work great when dealing with stubborn stains and hard to reach spaces such as your bamboo steamer.Check the price on Amazon
The Pccooler Dishwashing Scrub Gloves seem like the perfect product designed for those who want to get a good, hands-on scrubbing of their bamboo steamer while still protecting their hands and fingers.
The high-grade silicon gloves are comfortable to wear, have a good grip and protect your hands and fingers from both hot as well as cold water.
The gloves come with two types of scrubbers on both sides; one side has dense brushes for creating foam and scrubbing, and the other one with a tiger design to remove tougher marks and stains.
The Pccooler Dishwashing Scrub Gloves are very heat resistant, allowing you to sterilize them after each use. You can use them for heavy scrubbing without worrying about damaging or tearing them since they are firm and durable.
Why We Like It:
- Save money on scrubbers, brushes, sponges, cleaning cloths, etc. as the silicon gloves are super functional and versatile.
- They protect your hands against hot water as well as cold water.
- The gloves are remarkably resilient and durable.
- Double-sided bristles that allow you to scrub gently or target tougher stains and marks.
What We Don’t Like:
- The silicon gloves come in a medium size so they might be a slightly loose fit on smaller hands.
However, you can secure the ends of the gloves to your wrists using rubber bands so that there is no way that water can seep into the gloves or they can come off!
Why You Should Get It:
The amount of money you can save on dish soap, dishcloths, brushes, scrubbers, and sponges is fantastic when you purchase the Pccooler Dishwashing Scrub Gloves. The silicon material is sturdy and resilient to water damage and tearing; however, it is gentle enough to clean your bamboo steamer without causing it any harm! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.