Who would have thought that your shower curtains can get dirty? Well, due to constant exposure to moisture, soap, and scum, they do get pretty filthy. In this article, you will find out the best tips on how to clean a shower curtain without taking it down.
We will also share with you some of the best products that helped us a lot when cleaning our shower curtains, such as the Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover.
Why do you need to clean your shower curtain?
Most people assume that since your shower curtain is exposed to water and soap, it cannot possibly get dirty. However, quite contrary to that, your shower curtains get dirty due to constant exposure to these factors. Soap and scum can build up residue on your shower curtains and make them look quite nasty. The excess moisture also leads to mold buildup on the curtains.
Below you will learn how to clean the shower curtain without having to take it down, as this will make the process easier, faster, and ensure that you do not end up wasting water in the process.
Best products for cleaning your shower curtains
Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover
Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover gave us the best results whenever we needed to clean our shower curtains. It eliminates all kinds of stains without the need to take down the curtains. Tilex did a fantastic job when dealing with mold and mildew stains. By using it regularly, you will never ever have to take down your curtains.Check the price on Amazon
Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover is an easy to use spray and wash solution. Just spray on the product on your curtains, allow it to sit for a few minutes, and rinse it off! In case of stubborn stains, you can scrub the area using a brush as well.
The Smart Tube technology on the spray bottle allows you to get each and every drop out of the spray bottle, thus eliminating wastage of the product, which I personally feel is an excellent feature of this product.
The spray formula can be used on all kinds of surfaces; tile, vinyl, fiberglass, sinks, wax and non-wax floors, and even glass. However, for those looking for an easy to use, yet effective formula for their shower curtains, this is one of the best ones you can find.
This formula also contains bleach which effectively gets rid of all kinds of stains from your bathroom surface, giving you a spotless bathroom every day.
Why We Like It:
- The product can remove even the toughest of stains, grit, mold, and mildew with consistent use of the product
- A user-friendly non-scrubbing spray solution which works wonderfully for maintaining a clean and sanitary bathroom for you
- A fast working solution which targets bacteria, germs, and stains within 5 minutes of application
- You can use it on all kinds of surfaces without fear of damage
What We Don’t Like:
- Since the product contains Clorox Bleach, the solution can be a mild irritant for the eyes and skin, causing skin irritation.
However, there is a straightforward solution to this. When using the formula, be sure to keep your bathroom well ventilated. If you plan on scrubbing down the tiles with this solution, wear rubber gloves and protective eye gear so that the formula does not cause any irritation.
Why You Should Get It:
The Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover solution is a favorite amongst customers due to it’s easy to use spray bottle solution and also how fast working the formula is. Even if the mold and mildew stains are old and stubborn, this formula targets it 100%. You can use it regularly for cleaning and maintaining your bathroom curtains. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Kaboom Shower Guard Daily Shower Cleaner
If most of the stains on your curtains are from hard water and limescale buildup, Kaboom Shower Guard, is the best option you can use. It will remove the limescale from your curtains as well as prevent future buildup. It will also help you remove mold and mildew stains, but its main strength is dealing with hard water stains.Check the price on Amazon
Kaboom Shower Guard Daily Shower Cleaner is another great product you can use to clean your shower curtains. Since it is a “pour and wipe off” solution, you can use it on your shower curtains without having to take them off their hooks!
This formula helps to prevent further formation of soap scum, calcium and lime deposits, and even water stains.
Kaboom can be used on most surfaces such as on fiberglass, tile, acrylic, glass, plastic, and synthetic shower curtains. The formula removes hard water stains within minutes of using the product.
Why We Like It:
- Even the most stubborn stains, including rust stains, can be removed with regular use of Kaboom Shower Guard Daily Shower Cleaner
- The formula not only removes but also prevents the build-up of soap scum, lime and calcium deposits on your shower curtains as well as your bathroom tiles
- You need to use a tiny amount of the product for it actually to work
- You can use Kaboom after every shower just for a regular cleaning and maintenance of your shower curtains as well as your bathroom tiles, sinks and other surfaces
What We Don’t Like:
- The only issue you might face with Kaboom is that the smell can be slightly overpowering.
However, we have the easiest solution to this issue; just keep your bathroom well ventilated, and if required, wear a mask while cleaning the bathroom with this product!
Why You Should Get It:
The biggest reason for recommending Kaboom would be the fact that the solution is designed to remove as well as prevent any further formation of residue, stains, and scum in your bathroom and your shower curtains. Use it regularly for a clean and sparkling bathroom. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Don Aslett’s Showers and Stuff
This is another excellent product that is mainly used to remove soap stains from shower curtains as well as any other bathroom surface you want to clean. It also removes mold, dirt or even rust stains. It is pretty powerful on its own, so you don’t have to spend time scrubbing. Just spray and rinse.Check the price on Amazon
Don Aslett’s Showers and Stuff is a formula that contains chemicals which bring back the freshness and sparkle to your shower curtain, relieving it from looking dull and dirty. The solution is a speedy working one and needs just 2 to 3 minutes to start working its magic. Just spray it on the affected area. Then, let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse it away. No scrubbing needed. Of course, for more tough stains, you can always scrub down using a soft brush.
Don Aslett’s Showers and Stuff is the best product you can use for really tough and stubborn stains on your shower curtains; the formula contains a mixture of acids that can eat through any kind of stubborn stains, removing them from the surface within just a few uses of the product.
Your shower curtains can, over time, build up soap scum and residue due to constant exposure to moisture and soaps, however, this powerful acidic solution is something that can get you results every single time.
Why We Like It:
- A strong and powerful acidic solution that can be used for targeting even the toughest of stains.
- The formula does not have a strong, bleach or acidic smell to it. Plus, the scent dissipates rather quickly.
- You can use it just once a month instead of regular use; thus, saving the product as well as money.
- It is a fast working solution that requires no scrubbing, making it easy to use for everyone.
What We Don’t Like:
- The issue with this super powerful, cleaning solution, is that it is quite abrasive, and thus, has to be used very carefully. It also cannot be used on all surfaces. It is essential to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully before applying.
You can dilute the product and use it on a smaller area first to test it out, and then use it on a larger surface. Also, be sure to wear protective gloves and eye gear while using this product.
Why You Should Get It:
For those customers who are looking for a powerful, professional strength shower curtain cleaner, you cannot go wrong with Don Aslett’s Showers and Stuff cleaner. Target any and every stain with 100% results! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
How to clean a shower curtain with soap and water
Every once in a while, regular cleaning of your shower curtain will kill germs and bacteria and ensure that it looks fresh and new once again. Use this super easy method to clean your shower curtains regularly without having to take it down.
- Using a spray bottle, take some mild antiseptic soap and warm water. Fill up the spray bottle with it and shake it well. If you wish to, you can add a drop of lemon juice to this, as it will clean your shower curtain even more thoroughly, cutting through the soap scum, and transfer a pleasant fragrance to your shower curtains.
- You do not need to take off your shower curtains from the hook. Just spray the soap and water solution on either side of the shower curtain.
- Use a sponge to scrub the shower curtain in small, circular gentle motions.
- Take your shower head and rinse off the shower curtain.
- Allow it to dry naturally. Keep your bathroom well ventilated while doing this so it can dry off faster.
How to clean a shower curtain with toothpaste
If the soap and water solution seems a little too mild to remove stains, mildew, scum or even mold from your shower curtains, a little bit of toothpaste can do just the trick. Toothpaste is a gentle abrasive which can remove all signs of stains and even add a refreshing smell to your shower curtains. Here is how you can do it:
- Avoid using a gel toothpaste for this method and use a regular white toothpaste instead.
- Soak a sponge in water for a few seconds and squeeze out the excess water such that your sponge is only slightly damp.
- Apply some toothpaste directly on the damp sponge.
- Using small, circular motions, clean and scrub your shower curtain. In case you see any spots, stains, scum, mold or mildew, pay some extra attention to those areas when you are cleaning.
- Avoid being too harsh, instead, only move your hand in circular motions to remove any stains.
- Rinse off the shower curtain in warm water using a mug and a bucket, or just your shower head.
- Keep the bathroom area well ventilated and allow the shower curtains to dry naturally.
How to clean a shower curtain with vinegar
Vinegar is a fantastic solution when removing soap scum, mildew, mold, and any stains. Here is how you can use vinegar on your shower curtain:
- In a spray bottle, put 10% vinegar, or make a vinegar and water mixture using distilled vinegar and water.
- Spray the vinegar solution directly on to your shower curtain. Allow it to soak for a while. You could wait for 10 minutes if you are going for gentle cleaning, or you could let it soak for longer if your shower curtains need a deep cleaning.
- Using your shower head or a bucket of water, rinse off the vinegar from your shower curtain using warm water.
- Continue rinsing it out until you’ve managed to remove all the vinegar from your shower curtain.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
How to clean a shower curtain with bleach
You need to be careful when you are using this method as you don’t want the fumes of the bleach to affect you, especially the skin on your hands. It is best to keep your bathroom well ventilated for this method and wear protective goggles and gloves.
- Take 1 pint of household bleach and add one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid to it. Dilute the solution using water.
- Fill up a spray bottle with this solution and spray it on to the affected areas of your shower curtain (the affected areas with stains, spots, mildew, mold and soap scum).
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off well using warm water.
- Make sure that you keep your bathroom area well ventilated for this as the bleach might affect you.
- If you see that the stains are quite stubborn, you can use a soft sponge or a brush to scrub those specific areas before rinsing it off with the warm water.
How to prevent shower curtains from getting moldy and dirty
Regular cleaning of your shower curtains can ensure that they do not get unsanitary. A constant build-up of soap scum and mildew can be quite harmful to you and those who use your shower.
- Make a solution of half water and half distilled vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. Spray this solution on your shower curtains every day after a shower.
- As soon as you finished showering, rinse off any residue of soap and shampoo from your shower curtains. You can even keep a clean cloth to dry off the shower curtains before getting out of the bathroom.
- Keep your bathroom well ventilated so that any excess moisture dries up quickly from your shower curtains.
- Keep your shower curtain as short as possible. Cut out any excess shower liner you might have as it can attract mold spores.
These are some of the simplest remedies that you can use to clean your dirty shower curtains without ever having to remove them from their hooks!