We all love eating at home and even entertaining guests for dinner, but one thing which all homeowners dread about meals is washing the dishes. Thankfully, the invention of dishwashers has really helped most homeowners in reliving the burden of washing their dishes. However, sometimes your dishwasher needs some cleaning! Here are some of the most straightforward solutions for how to clean dishwasher pipes. You will find both homemade solutions and exclusive cleaning products, such as the Finish Dual Action Dishwasher Cleaner, you can get from Amazon right now!
Why do dishwasher pipes need cleaning
Along with our dishes, we put a lot of other things into our dishwashers as well. This includes food particles, grime, oils, and sometimes even the accidental food wrappers. All of this can cause clogging of the dishwasher pipes and the dishwasher drain, which must be cleaned to make the dishwasher run smoothly again.
However, keep in mind that before cleaning your dishwasher pipes and drain, it is imperative to turn off the power supply to your dishwasher to avoid any risk of injury.
How to clean the dishwasher pipes using baking soda and vinegar
Often, your dishwasher pipes may be clogged up with food residue, dirt, oil, and grime, which are causing the dishwasher water to back up into the dishwasher. Clearing out the dishwasher drain with baking soda and vinegar can be a quick and effective solution.
- Create a solution of white vinegar and baking soda and put it in a small container. Pour the mixture on the bottom of your dishwasher.
- Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Add some hot water (not boiling water) to the dishwasher basket. This should help loosen up any grime, oils, and debris and clean out any clogs in your dishwasher pipe.
- You can repeat this process once a month to keep your dishwasher running smoothly.
How to clean the dishwasher pipes and drain with a wire hanger
Sometimes stubborn food particles get stuck up or jammed in your dishwasher drain. These are not easily washed away with hot water, or even vinegar and baking soda. In this case, you will have to clean out the dishwasher pipe manually.
- Turn off the power supply to your dishwasher before you begin.
- Bring out your owner’s manual of your dishwasher and go through it to understand the anatomy of your dishwasher.
- Locate the dishwasher pipe, and using pliers, gently disconnect the dishwasher hose from the basin. You should ideally keep a bucket or a bowl underneath the hose when you do this so that the bucket can catch any water and spills from the dishwasher pipe.
- Now, take a wire hanger and push it into the dishwasher drain pipe, trying to remove any stubborn residue, hair, grime, or other stuck particles. You should wear protective gloves and mask while doing this to avoid touching the dirt or breathe in any bad odors.
- Once you have cleared out the debris, you can run some hot water through the dishwasher pipe to clean out any remnants.
- Attach the dishwasher pipe back to your dishwasher and use it again!
How to unclog the dishwasher drain using high-pressure water
An alternative way to clean your dishwasher pipe after disconnecting it from the basin would be to use high-pressure water through the pipeline.
- Disconnect the dishwasher pipe, and run a high-pressure water hose through the pipeline.
- This will effectively clear out any dirt, grime, and debris from the pipe.
- Reattach the dishwasher pipe to your dishwasher and run it without any dishes for once cycle, to really clean up any residue from your dishwasher pipe. High-pressure cleaning can be one of the best methods for good dishwasher maintenance.
Commercial cleaners for dishwasher pipes
However, there are times when these easy fixes might not successfully clean your dishwasher pipes to the optimum. Or simply you are not able to disconnect the hose from the dishwasher. In those cases, try out some of the best dishwasher cleaners which will clean your dishwasher drain line and make it as good as new!
Grab Green Garbage Disposal Freshener & Cleaner
A completely organic, non-toxic formula for unclogging your dishwasher and garbage disposal. The fresh, natural smell will leave your dishwasher smelling like a fresh meadow and not like an old garbage bag!
- Can be used on any type of dishwasher
- Completely organic cleaning pods
- Convenient to use regularly without any harmful effects
- Helps loosen up any food residue, oils, grime and particles from dishwasher pipes
- Small and very comfortable to use, simply pop it into your dishwasher and run it for one cycle
- Has a fresh aroma from all natural ingredients; uses only natural essential oils and no synthetic perfume, so it is safe to use for your dishwasher and yourself
- Swift working solution; starts working within 30 seconds to 1 minute!
- While the cleaning pods do refresh your dishwasher and the pipes, there is no foaming effect from the cleaner. However, you can add a few drops of dishwashing liquid along with the cleaning pods to create foam and clean your dishwasher pipes.
If you like your dishwasher to smell like fresh, organic aromas while cleaning it effectively in under a minute, Grab Green is the product for you! It effectively unclogs the dishwasher drain line within a few minutes. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Finish Dual Action Dishwasher Cleaner
This is a fast and efficient dishwasher cleaner that targets all the hidden areas of your dishwasher; the filters, the pipes, and the spray arm. Best for removing limescale.
- The cleaning liquid removes the buildup of limescale from every nook of your dishwasher and helps you unclog the dishwasher’s drain line.
- Very easy to use; simply open the seal and put the bottle in the dishwasher to clean every part of the dishwasher with its powerful cleaning solution
- Prevents future buildup of limescale
- Extremely convenient to use as a one-time bottle; no need to add any extra cleaning liquids or even pour out the liquid from the bottle. Simply open the seal and put the bottle upside down in the dishwasher
- Removes and eliminates the buildup of limescale, minerals, and grime especially from the drain trap.
- Can be used just once a month for effective results
- The plastic the product comes in is slightly flimsy and can fall apart; however, if placed at a proper angle in the dishwasher, this should not be an issue.
A pleasant smelling, easy to use dishwasher cleaner. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner
Just as promised in the product name itself, Affresh helps keep your dishwasher completely fresh and clean after every use.
- Can be used on any kind of dishwasher without harm
- An easy to use tablet shape
- A non-toxic solution which is safe for all your dishes
- Can be used just once a month for effective results
- Works better than bleach, as the acidic formula cuts away at limescale buildup effectively
- No scrubbing formula, simply place the pod in the dishwasher and run a cycle
- Has a pleasant, lemony scent
- The lemony aroma left by Affresh can be a little strong for some users; however, by simply adding a few drops of citric acid to the cleaner, the strong smell disappears!
For the busy homeowners who need to unclog their dishwasher pipes effectively. Click here to check the current price on Amazon and find out more about this amazing dishwasher’s pipe cleaner.
This is some really good information about how to clean a dishwasher. I liked that you pointed out that you should try to clean it out often because it would help with efficiency. That is good for me to know as a new homeowner who really wants their dishwasher to work well.
I highly agree that a dishwasher or a sink will smell bad when there is no maintenance. We had this sink which we have not fixed for years and it has a problematic smell. We could use the help of Pipelining Contractors for this.
Before reading this article, I don’t even know that pipes and drain need to be cleaned regularly. No wonder sometimes there is some bad smell from my dishwasher.
Nice article with great product recommendations and advice.