When you have a kid in your home, there will be many accidents left behind. Of course, you don’t need to start wrapping up your children in dozens of diapers to prevent this! Here are some of the best ways for those looking for solutions on how to clean human urine from hardwood floors.
We will also share with you a few cleaning products that can make this daunting task a lot easier. Our favorite cleaner for removing human or any other urine is Clorox Urine Remover. There is nothing that works better. You can read more on this further down in this article. Before that, here are some homemade solutions:
Does urine damage hardwood floors?
Hardwood floors are quite tough and sturdy to most things. However, there is one thing that can really ruin your beautiful hardwood flooring; urine. No matter how long the urine is sitting there, the liquid slowly seeps into your hardwood and damages it.
Over time, the urine turns more and more alkaline until it is basically similar to undiluted ammonia. It is corrosive and creates discoloration and a strong, pungent odor from your hardwood floors, damaging it ultimately.
The natural wood quickly absorbs any liquid that is sitting on it, and the corrosive action of urine can really damage the look and feel of your beautiful hardwood floors.
How to get rid of human urine from hardwood floors using bicarbonate of soda and vinegar
Here is the first method that you can use to get rid of human urine stains and odors from your hardwood floors. Here is how you can do it:
- Take some paper towels and immediately blot up as much urine as you can, keep using more paper towels if necessary.
- Now, take the bicarbonate of soda and sprinkle it directly over the urine stains.
- Take some white vinegar and slowly drizzle it over the same area. You will see that the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar are beginning to react, causing them to foam.
- Now, take a scrubbing brush and begin to scrub the area thoroughly, of course, be careful that you don’t leave scratch marks behind on the floors.
- Once you finish doing this, take a damp cloth and wipe away the residue from your floors.
- Finally, run a vacuum cleaner over the area to pick up any residue from the hardwood floors. Make sure that the floor does not remain damp; dry it off completely so that you don’t damage the wood.
How to remove human urine from your floors using vinegar and water
Vinegar and water can be a great solution to get rid of human urine from your hardwood floors, of course, you need to be very careful when you use vinegar. Start off with as little as possible, to ensure that you don’t damage your hardwood floors. Here is how you can do it:
- In a large bucket, mix in about 2 gallons of water and 1/4th cup of white, distilled vinegar. Mix this solution well to create your cleaning formula.
- Now, you can either pour this solution into a spray bottle, or you can take a clean cloth and dip it into the solution to use for your cleaning.
- Spray the vinegar and water solution directly on your hardwood floors, or wipe down the urine-stained area with a cloth dipped in this solution.
- Fill up another bucket with regular, clean water and take another soft, dry towel or cloth.
- Dip the cloth into the plain water and wring out the excess water. Without further delay, wipe away the vinegar and water solution from your hardwood floors using the clean cloth. In case the smell of urine is still active, you can sprinkle some baking soda directly on top of the urine-stained area and allow it to deodorize the area on your hardwood floor.
- Finally, wipe away the baking soda after a couple of hours.
- Vacuum up the area to pick up the rest of the baking soda residue from your floors.
How to clean human urine using hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide can work like magic to both clean and remove the smell of urine from your hardwood floors, making them look like new once again. Here is how you can do it:
- Take paper towels or newspaper and lay them over the urine on your hardwood floors. Allow the paper to soak up all of the urine until none remains. You can use more paper if you need to.
- In a spray bottle, add 3% hydrogen peroxide and some water and mix the solution well.
- Spray this directly over the urine stains on your hardwood floors. The hydrogen peroxide works to remove the urine stains from not only your hardwood floors but also the odor, effectively.
- Allow the solution to soak for just a few minutes.
- Take a microfiber cloth and gently wipe off the excess solution from your hardwood floors. Allow it to dry completely. Finally, you can use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the area.
How to get rid of human urine from hardwood using baking soda, vinegar, and essential oil
Getting rid of human urine stains from your hardwood floors may not be that tough. However, the lingering smell is another story. Here is a method to get rid of the stains as well as the smells from your hardwood floors effectively:
- In a large bowl, mix in one teaspoon of baking soda, white distilled vinegar, and a few drops of essential oil. You can use tea tree oil for this purpose, as this essential oil has a strong smell and is also antifungal and antibacterial.
- Mix all of these ingredients thoroughly in the bowl and add them into a spray bottle.
- Blot up the urine from your hardwood floors using paper towels first, and then spray this solution directly over your floors.
- Allow the solution to dry completely. Once the solution is dehydrated, you will notice some residue left behind on the floors, which is the residue of baking soda.
- Using a broom, sweep up most of the baking soda remnants from your floors, and then finally vacuum the rest of it up thoroughly. In case the smell of urine still persists, simply repeat the entire process once again!
Best commercial products for removing human urine?
Although the homemade solutions will do a great job, sometimes you may need something stronger or precisely made to tackle urine. These are our favorites:
For those homeowners who are proud of their beautiful hardwood floors but also have children in the house, the entire situation can be a kind of dilemma. These little humans often have accidents, and human urine is something that can leave stains or even an odor on your beautiful hardwood floors.
When it comes to finding the best cleaner for this task, Clorox Urine Remover is our top pick.
Cleaning up urine from your hardwood floors is no easy task, but the damage this liquid can cause to the floors is more of a worry than anything else. With Clorox Urine Remover, all you need to do is spray the formula directly on your hardwood floor, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, and then mop it up! The formula works wonders on removing the urine stains, odors and also keeping your hardwood floors clean and hygienic.
Why We Like It:
- Easy to use spray bottle formula
- Spray directly on the area, keep for 15 minutes and then wipe away
- Does not damage your hardwood floors
- Breaks down the compounds of urine altogether to remove the smell from the root; does not contain bleach
What We Don’t Like:
- For older urine stains on your hardwood floors, the product might require more than one cleaning session to get rid of the stains and odor completely.
The fix: You can spray the same area on your hardwood floors more than once and allow the product to sit for a little longer. Along with this, you can also use a little bit of essential oil like lemon or tea tree to get rid of the urine smell completely.
Why You Should Get It:
Human urine can be quite challenging to tackle, especially when it gets on your beautiful hardwood floors. Clorox Urine Remover not only removes the remnants and odors from the root but is also completely safe and gentle on the wood. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
With everyone going green nowadays and using only eco-friendly and organic products, it is no surprise that people are looking for green home cleaning products as well.
Puracy Natural Stain Remover is a great product that is not only powerful and helps you remove all kinds of urine stains from your hardwood floors, but it is also completely organic and non-toxic!
Puracy Natural Stain Remover is safe to use on your delicate hardwood floors only because it does not contain any bleach, any chemical ingredients or toxic products, no animal by-products, and also no petroleum-based products. Not only is it safe for your floors, you and your family, but it is also super safe for the environment.
The powerful natural stain remover is made of not one or two but six plant-based enzymes that work together to remove the stains and odor of human urine from your hardwood floors. Spray it on the area and allow it to sit for a few minutes before you see the magic!
Why We Like It:
- Completely natural plant enzyme-based stain remover
- Does not contain any harsh chemicals, bleach or toxic ingredients
- You can use it regularly without causing any damage to your hardwood floors
- Leaves behind a mild, pleasant smell after you clean it
What We Don’t Like:
- Since the formula does not contain any harsh chemicals, older or more stubborn urine stains can be difficult to remove on the first try.
The fix: Instead of keeping the formula on the area for just 15 minutes, allow it to soak for a couple of hours. Use a soft brush to really get the formula into the floor, and then wipe off as usual.
Why You Should Get It:
For those who are looking for the best green option when it comes to cleaners for human urine stains and odors, Puracy Natural Stain Remover is the safest option for your hardwood floors. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Another excellent option for those who are looking for a natural cleaning product is the Angry Orange Odor Eliminator. Human urine can have quite an unpleasant and strong stench, and getting rid of this smell from your hardwood floors can be quite a task.
That is why Angry Orange Odor Eliminator, which is made from the oil found in orange peels, is such an excellent option for this task.
Angry Orange Odor Eliminator not only removes all traces of stains but also removes the strong, pungent odor of human urine from your hardwood floors. Since it is made from a gentle, organic substance, it does not cause any harm or damage to your hardwood floors as well.
The best part about this cleaner is that you need to add only a tiny amount of the formula, about 2 tbsp for a 32 oz spray bottle, and then dilute the rest with water, ensuring that there is no unnecessary wastage of product!
Why We Like It:
- No harsh chemicals and toxic elements in the formula
- You can use a very tiny amount of cleaner with water and reuse the spray bottle until it is over
- Leaves behind a pleasant, orange smell on your hardwood floors
- Starts working within minutes to remove all traces of odor and stain
What We Don’t Like:
- Unfortunately, the strong smell of orange oil can be a little too strong for some people, who might not love the scent on the hardwood floors
The fix: When using the Angry Orange Odor Eliminator, allow a little ventilation in the room in the form of a fan or an open window, which will quickly get rid of the smell within minutes!
Why You Should Get It:
An easy to use, no wastage formula which has the beautiful smell of oranges, what more could you ask for from your cleaner! Use it regularly on your hardwood floors to remove all stains and odors of human urine easily. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
How to get rid of human urine using soap, vinegar, and water
Finally, you can use this very last method to help you get rid of human urine from your hardwood floors. Here is how you can do it:
- In a large bucket, mix warm water, 1/4th cup of white distilled vinegar and a few drops of liquid soap.
- Mix this solution well.
- Dip a clean cloth into the solution and wipe the entire urine-stained area on your hardwood floor.
- Immediately, wipe the area once again using another damp cloth. If you want, you can also add 3-4 drops of essential oil into the plain water with which you are wiping down the floor.
- Allow the floor to dry completely.
How to get human urine smell out of hardwood floors?
When it comes to getting rid of human urine smell out of your hardwood floors, you need to act fast and have patience. You can purchase an excellent cleaning solution that will help you remove all the traces of human urine smell from the floors. While some cleaners work really fast, some cleaners take longer.
Spray your cleaner directly on the area where the urine odor is and allow it to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 8 hours if you need it. Cover the area, so the formula really absorbs well. Then, wipe it away with a damp cloth to get rid of the smell!