Blinds offer much more than just a barrier from sun, rain, and dust; they also add an aesthetic appeal to your home. Vinyl blinds can look beautiful and are extremely functional as well, but cleaning the blinds can be a tough chore for most. Here are some of the easiest methods that you need to know how to clean vinyl blinds!
Why do you need to clean vinyl blinds?
Taking aside the cleanliness and hygiene factor, it is actually quite important to regularly clean and maintain your blinds. Since your blinds offer protection to your home against the harsh rays of the sun, it is quite obvious to assume that they are pretty beaten. This is one of the favorite places for dust to settle. If you have blinds in your kitchen they can be covered in oil or even black mold making the area harmful to your health. Taking good care of your blinds by cleaning them regularly will ensure that they look as good as new and are not damaged by the dust, sun rays, and regular wear and tear.
How to clean your vinyl blinds using a microfiber cloth and dishwashing liquid
Most of the time, all your vinyl blinds need is a good old regular soap cleaning session. The best way to do this is to use dishwashing liquid and water along with a soft microfiber cloth. Here is how you can do it:
- Lower your blinds gently and manipulate the rope to ensure that the slits are facing down, slightly open. This way, you can reach right into every single slit.
- Now, using a soft brush vacuum cleaner, vacuum and wipe every single slit or section of the blind.
- Take a bowl of warm water and add a few drops of dishwashing soap. Mix it well until you see good foam formed on the top.
- Dip your soft microfiber cloth into this soapy water mixture. Scrunch the cloth to remove any excess water.
- Now, using the damp microfiber cloth, clean each slit of the blind carefully. This will work for removing any dirt and dust as well as stubborn stains that might have left an impression on the blinds.
- Make sure you start at the top of the blinds when you clean, otherwise the dust and residue might fall on the areas that you have already cleaned.
How to clean your vinyl blinds with vinegar
Vinegar is considered to be one of those magic cleaners that everyone has in their kitchen. This simple household ingredient can work wonders when it comes to cleaning your vinyl blinds. Here is how you can do it:
- Fill up a bowl with vinegar and water in a one is to one ratio. Mix it well.
- Now, using a microfiber cloth, or even an old sock, dip into the vinegar water solution and start cleaning the blind slits one by one. If you don’t want to do that, you can simply put the solution in a spray bottle and spray over the blinds that you are cleaning.
- Turn up the blinds to clean the lower surface of the blinds, and do the opposite to clean the top surface of the blind.
- Once you have completed this, wipe down the blinds once again with a damp, clean cloth to remove any excess vinegar that might have deposited on them.
- With a dry cloth, wipe the blinds and allow them to dry out naturally.
How to clean vinyl blinds in a tub
Sometimes, it might not be possible for you to easily reach the top portions of your blind. Or you found mold on the blinds that you can’t simply remove with a towel? In this case, it would be a better idea to completely take off the blinds and wash them in your tub. Here is what you need to do for it:
- Take off one set of blinds at a time and place them in your tub.
- Fill up the tub with warm water and add a few squirts of soap to this.
- Allow it to soak for about an hour.
- Using a soft nylon brush, a soft cloth or even a mop, scrub at the surface of the blinds.
- Make sure that you get in between each and every slit of the blind. Turn the blind the other way around to get to the backside of the blind.
- Repeat the same process and clean in between each slit. Add some more soap to your cloth or nylon brush if you wish to. This should help you get rid of any stubborn stains you might have on your vinyl blinds.
- Remove the blinds from the tub and hand dry them with a towel or hang them up to dry naturally overnight, and wake up to fresh, new blinds for your home once again!
How to clean your vinyl blinds with tongs
Every once in a while, you will be forced to fashion a cleaning tool out of ordinary, everyday household tools. In case you don’t want to use your hands to clean out every single slit of your vinyl blinds, using a tool for cleaning them might be a good idea. Here is a method of cleaning your vinyl blinds using kitchen tongs! Read on to find out how:
- Take a pair of tongs and attach a microfiber to each of the bars. You can wrap around each of the sides of the tongs and secure the towels or simple place one towel in between.
- Using your now DIY cleaning tool, take each slit of the blind and work your way through them in a horizontal sweeping motion. The best part about this DIY tool is that you can clean both the top and the bottom half of the blind slit at the same time.
- You can wet the cloth with some dishwashing soap and water to clean off any grime or stains off your blinds.
How to clean your vinyl blinds with baking soda
Finally, another time-tested a home remedy for cleaning almost anything is to use baking soda on your blinds. The chemical structure of the baking soda acts as a natural cleaning agent as well as an exfoliator.
- Take off your blinds section by section and place them in your tub, or out in your garden.
- If you place them in your garden, use your garden hose to wash down your blinds.
- Add a solution of baking soda and water to your blinds and clean them with a mop, a brush or a cloth.
- Rinse off the blinds again and hang them to dry off naturally.
How to keep blinds clean
As is said often, prevention is better than cure. To prevent your blinds from getting dirty:
- Wipe them off regularly using a microfiber cloth or a vacuum
- When not in use, stow them instead of letting them hang down and get dirty
- Do not use harsh chemicals and cleaning products on them, instead, opt for homemade cleaning solutions