So you have invested hours and effort into making your patio look just perfect; you got yourself some beautiful patio furniture, maybe a barbecue grill for special occasions, some attractive looking patio ornaments and even an awning for protection. But the next morning your worst nightmare strikes, you find bird poop all over your beautiful patio. If you are wondering how to get rid of birds pooping on patio, this article will tell you everything you need to know, and more! You will learn all about the homemade tricks as well as read reviews of some fantastic products such as the Zovenchi Solar Powered Animal Repeller; you can get from Amazon now!
Get rid of birds pooping on a patio with shiny materials
A relatively easy solution, you can keep birds off of your patio simply by hanging a few strips of shiny party streamers, or even aluminum foil on your patio. These shiny, hanging objects will most likely hit their eyes due to the reflection of the light. Birds are generally easy to scare, and this light is not something they would be a fan of. This solution should keep the birds and bird poop off your patio.
Get rid of birds pooping with decoys
Birds these days have become far too smart for scarecrows. Plus, how terrible would your otherwise beautiful lawn look with an ugly scarecrow in the middle of it? You can buy some lawn or patio ornaments such as owls, snakes and other predator-looking animals. You can even get some toy animals that make random sounds and movements. This can scare the birds off your patio and prevent them from pooping on your beautiful deck.
Commercial products to keep birds pooping off patios
Birds are can be very persistent creatures, and sometimes all our home remedies just fail in keeping them off our patios. Sometimes bird poop can be very difficult to clean if it has dried up and been left for too long. So maybe the best solution is never to let them do their business on your patio. These products can be just what to need to help you keep birds off your patio for good.
Zovenchi Solar Powered Animal Repeller
When the birds in your neighborhood are just a little too smart to fall for scarecrows and chew toys, an ultrasonic bird repeller might be the solution for you. Zovenchi Solar Powered Animal Repeller releases a powerful ultrasonic sound which can scare away the birds. Due to the high pitch of the sound, human beings cannot hear it; however, it works effectively on birds.
- A motion sensor ultrasonic machine
- Works on solar power
- Emits both light and sound to scare the birds
- Weather resistant unit can be kept outside during all times
- Works on a motion sensor will automatically activate whenever birds or animals enter your garden or patio
- The solar-powered machine gets automatically charged during the day and stays completely activated even during the night
- Lightweight and portable
- Might not work on a larger yard beyond 8-9 meters radius
The sensor works on an 8-9 meter radius, in case you would like to protect a larger portion of your yard, you would have to purchase more than one.
Working at a 110-degree angle, 8-9 meter radius, the product is perfect for keeping away all pesky birds and their droppings off your patio. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Bird Proof Transparent Repellent
Looking for a more discreet solution to pesky bird problems? Bird Proof Gel might be the magic solution for you.
- Easy to use a bottle
- Clear, non-sticky, transparent gel
- Can be applied on any surface without causing damage
- Completely clear gel leaving no unpleasant residue
- Can be applied on any surface of your patio
- Non-toxic, safe
- Can be difficult to get off clothes
It is important to wear protective gloves and gear when using this product so that it does not stain your clothes.
An easy to use, quick solution to get rid of birds from your patio forever. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Homescape Creations Owl Holographic Bird Repellent
What if you could get the functionality of a scary looking predator, a sudden sound and a shiny, glowing material at the same time? Owl Holographic Bird Repellent gives you all that!
- Emits a sound as well as refracts light
- Shaped like an owl to scare off smaller birds
- A safe, non-toxic product
- Can be hung anywhere on your patio
- A completely humane way to scare off birds as compared to other methods
- A 3-in-1 sound, light, and predator shaped product
- Produces random motions to scare birds
- Has to be placed in a strategic location for it to work successfully
The sound, motion, and light can be produced by the product only if it is placed in natural sunlight and in a windy location. If placed strategically, the product will work wonders.
A 3-in-1 holographic product; the Owl repellent works like magic to scare away all species of birds off your patio! Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Okay, let’s say it is too late and there is poop all over your patio. Do not despair, there are many easy solutions that will help you clean those nasty bird poop stains.
How to clean bird poop with water
Thankfully, if you spot bird poop on your patio before it gets a chance to dry up and become old, it can be quite easy to clean off.
- When you find bird poop on your patio, the first thing you can do is pour some warm water on top of it. This will loosen up any of the sticky or hardening areas of the bird poop and allow you to clean it up easily.
- Take a garden hose and spray the area directly. The power of the water should be enough to be able to really drive the spot out of your patio.
- Finally, use a soft brush to scrub away at the area; you can even use a little bit dishwashing liquid to clean the area to make sure there is no poop or odor left. If this doesn’t work you can try a power washer. It has much more power than the garden hose alone. I use the Sun Joe Electric Pressure Washer – link to Amazon. If you want to find more amazing pressure washers visit this post.
How to clean bird poop with a detergent
Sometimes, bird poop left out for too long can dry up and harden, making it more difficult to remove.
- If the bird poop has hardened and dried up, you can use a spatula to scrape off most of the residue off your patio.
- Make your cleaning solution using some dishwashing liquid, some water, and a drop of lime in it. The lime will help clean out any stubborn marks while at the same time giving the area a mild, fresh smell, getting rid of the old, musty bird poop smell.
- Mix the liquid well and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the target areas and let it sit for a while.
- Using a hosepipe, turn on the water pressure and allow the liquid to wash off, along with the bird poop residue. Wipe the area clean, and repeat for stubborn stains.
How to remove bird poop from concrete patio
- Hose off as much of the bird poop off your patio using a strong jet from your garden hose.
- Cover up the entire bird poop stain on your patio with some liquid dishwashing soap.
- Take a bristled brush and scrub the dishwashing soap into the concrete so that you can loosen up the stain particles, making it easier to remove.
- Once you have scrubbed the stained area on your concrete patio, cover the same area with sawdust and let it work to absorb the soap and water solution. Allow this to sit undisturbed for about 20 minutes, till the soap and water mixture can absorb. It is a far more eco-friendly technique than washing off the soap and water mixture into the grass.
- Once the sawdust has absorbed the soap and water mixture, sweep up the residue using a broom and a dustpan.
- Take a small bowl and create a mixture of 1 tablespoon of (12%) hydrogen peroxide and three drops of ammonia. Apply this on the bird poop stain on your concrete patio to remove any discoloration or marks.
- Using the brush, once again scrub the solution into the concrete and allow the stain to sit undisturbed for a few minutes.
- Again, pour sawdust over the solution so that the liquid absorbs, then finally sweep away the sawdust using a broom and a dustpan.
How to remove bird poop from wooden patio
- You will need to put on a pair of protective rubber gloves before you begin the process.
- If you find any hardened bird poop on your wooden patio, use a scraper to remove as much of it as you can.
- Fill up a bucket with hot water and pour some liquid dishwashing soap into it. Mix it up well to create a soapy solution.
- Pour some club soda over the bird poop as this will loosen up any solid residue. However, don’t keep this for too long as it may damage the wood. Work quickly from this point onwards.
- Dip a brush into this soapy solution and use it to scrub the bird poop from your wooden patio. Be sure to use firm, circular motions, however, do not scrub it too hard as you don’t want to scratch the wood surface.
- Take your garden hose and rinse off the area to remove the loosened bird poop residue from your wooden patio.
How to get bird poop out of patio furniture
- Take a blunt plastic knife and gently scrape off as much bird poop as you can from the patio furniture. Be careful not to damage the furniture while doing this. You can also use a spoon for this step.
- Take a spray bottle and fill it up with lukewarm water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Mix it well.
- Spray this mixture directly on to the bird poop on your patio furniture.
- Take a soft toothbrush or a clean cloth and begin to gently scrub the surface of the patio furniture to remove the bird poop.
- You can pour some baking soda over the bird poop stain at this step and allow it to sit undisturbed for a few minutes.
- Take the clean cloth or toothbrush once again and gently flick off the baking soda from the patio furniture.
Also read: How to clean dog pee from the carpet.