Gold is a beautiful metal and an asset for their owners, however, this valuable metal requires care and maintenance. When it comes to polishing your gold rings, you don’t always have to go to a professional to take help, in fact, you can do it yourself at home! Here are a few easy ways on how to polish gold rings.
We personally use the Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool Kit. It is easy to use, super-fast and does an amazing job in removing any dirt and scratches from the gold. You can read more on our impressions with Dremel further down in this article. Before that here are a few homemade tips and cleaners you can use.
How to polish your gold rings using baking soda and dish soap
Here is an easy cleaning, and polishing method that you can use to polish your gold rings and bring back their shine. However, remember not to overuse the baking soda as it can be quite abrasive for a soft metal like gold. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and fill it up with water. Add a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid into it, and a small amount of baking soda. Mix this well to create a cleaning solution.
- Dip your gold rings into this cleaning solution gently and allow them to soak for just a few minutes.
- Now, take a soft, clean toothbrush and scrub your gold rings very gently using the cleaning solution. Make sure that you use very soft and gentle scrubbing motions, as gold is a very delicate metal and you don’t want to damage it while scrubbing.
- Using some warm water, rinse off the gold rings one by one so that you rinse away all the baking soda and soap from them.
- Use a soft cloth to dry off the gold rings, but be sure not to use any paper towels, tissues, or any old cloth to dry the rings, as it might scratch the surface of the gold rings.
- Finally, take a jewelers cloth (which you can buy at a supermarket or at a jewelry store) and use it to polish your gold rings and restore their shine once again.
Tools and kits you can use to polish your gold rings
There are so many different ways to do this at home. Some of them work better than others, but in general, if none of the homemade remedies work, you can always consider professional help. And by professional help, I don’t mean taking your rings to a store and pay a lot of money. There are a few tools that I found very effective and useful.
Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool Kit
If you want a fast and easy way to polish your gold, then Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool Kit is what you need. It is a small power tool that is perfect for removing dirt and scratches from any golden piece of jewelry. It works fast and efficiently. There are many polishing attachments compatible with Dremel, which you can use to get into those hard to reach corners and curves.Check the price on Amazon
When it comes to polishing your gold rings, sometimes doing it by hand is not good enough to get back that shine and sparkle. The Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool Kit does an amazing job of polishing your gold rings and making them look like a million bucks.
Attach the polishing wheel according to your requirements, keep your fingers safe, and start polishing your rings! Within just a few seconds, you will see the shine slowly coming back to your beautiful rings.
You can easily adjust the speed of the tool according to your convenience, making the Dremel the best tool for your polishing needs!
The battery power of the Dremel is quite impressive for such a small tool. You should get up to 1.5 hours of battery time on a full charge if used at a moderate speed. The fast charger makes it even more convenient to use.
There are many different attachments for polishing which will help you get into those tight spaces with ease.
Finally, the EZ Twist nose cap allows you to attach and remove the attachments without requiring any other tools or a wrench!
Why We Like It:
- A cordless tool which you can use comfortably for polishing your gold rings
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Quick charging battery which takes just about 1 hour for charging fully
- Adjust the speed and power of the tool quickly with switches
What We Don’t Like:
- On heavy use, the battery power might not last more than 15 minutes at a time, which can be inconvenient if you need to use the tool for longer.
The fix: Switch the tool to a lower power mode so that you can use it for longer, or you can also choose to charge it in between uses. But unless you have dozens and dozens of rings to polish, you should be just fine!
Why You Should Get It:
When manual polishing doesn’t do the job, switch to Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool Kit! The polishing tool works beautifully to bring a shine back to your gold rings. Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool Kit on Amazon.
Connoisseurs Gold Polishing Cloth
The Connoisseurs Gold Jewelry Polishing Cloth is excellent for cleaning and polishing gold rings. If you don’t have big scratch marks, this cloth is all you need. Just run it a few times on the golden surface, and it will remove the tarnish buildup. There are two sides of the cloth, one for cleaning and the other one for polishing. You can get the best results if you use the cloth regularly.Check the price on Amazon
Using just about any cloth to polish your gold rings can end up doing more harm than good. Gold rings are precious and very delicate, and you have to treat them with care, especially when you are cleaning them.
Those who are looking for the best cloth with which you can polish your gold rings, Connoisseurs Polishing Cloth for Gold, is the best one that you can find on the market.
The Connoisseurs Polishing Cloth works on both sides, doing two different jobs. The inner side of the polishing cloth is for cleaning, while the outer side of the cloth works wonders for polishing.
Begin by first cleaning your gold rings using the lighter, inner side of the polishing cloth. You can use a cleaning product or wipe it with the cloth alone. After this, use the darker side of the polishing cloth to bring back the shine and dazzle to your gold rings.
Since the polishing cloth is made with 100% cotton fibers, you know that you are using only the best, most soft material for your precious gold rings.
Why We Like It:
- The polishing cloth works both ways; inner cloth for cleaning and outer cloth for polishing
- The cloth comes in an extra-large size so you can comfortably use them on your rings
- Easy to fold up and take along with you anywhere
- Made of 100% natural cotton fibers only
What We Don’t Like:
- You cannot wash the cloths and reuse them again, which can be inconvenient for some people.
The fix: The cloths are actually extra-large in size, and even though you cannot wash them, you can still reuse them a couple of times before you throw them! Store the cloths in a clean, dry place, and use them again!
Why You Should Get It:
Removing dirt, grime, and dullness from your gold rings has never been easier! The multipurpose gold polishing cloth is all you need to keep your rings shining always! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Connoisseurs Gold Jewelry Cleaner
This set from Connoisseurs contains a gold cleaner, cleaning basket, brush, and polishing cloth. Just place your gold rings in the dip tray and dip them in the cleaning fluid. After 30 seconds, take the rings out of the cleaning solution, brush them and gently polish them with the cloth. It is that simple! Works on all kinds on all kinds of gold jewelry, not just rings!Check the price on Amazon
Who knew that you could polish your gold rings at home like a professional? Well, with Connoisseurs Gold Jewelry Cleaner, you can! With a polishing cloth, a dip tray, and even a brush, your gold rings are all set to look as good as new thanks to this handy kit!
Connoisseurs Gold Jewelry Cleaner comes with a great formula of polymers, which helps you remove all traces of dirt, bacteria, grime, and dullness from your gold rings. You also have a dip-tray where you can keep all your gold rings as you clean them one by one, or use it to dip all the rings into warm water without getting your fingers wet.
The easy to use brush allows you to reach right in between the crevices and nooks of your gold rings, allowing the cleaning product to do its job thoroughly.
Finally, you can use the polishing cloth in two ways; the inner side for cleaning and the outer side for polishing, giving you the best clean and polish on your gold rings ever!
Why We Like It:
- The cleaning formula is gentle yet very useful for all your gold rings
- Dip tray makes it easy for you to keep your gold rings in one place while dipping into warm water without getting your fingers wet
- Brush lets you clean all the corners and crevices of your gold rings
- Polishing cloth for both cleaning as well as scratch-free polishing
What We Don’t Like:
- The tightly closing box can make the cleaning product leak out sometimes, causing wastage
The fix: In case you find that your container has a crack or leak, you can transfer the formula to another container and store it there!
Why You Should Get It:
Why go to a professional jewelry cleaner when you can do the job at home? The Connoisseurs Gold Jewellery Cleaner makes it so easy for you to get the professionally clean look on your gold rings at home! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
How to polish your gold rings using turmeric
Here is a slightly unique but very effective method of polishing your gold rings at home using turmeric. Here is how you can do it:
- Fill up a small bowl with fresh water and add just one teaspoon of turmeric powder into the water. Mix this well to create a yellow-colored cleaning solution.
- Gently place your gold rings into this yellow solution and allow it to soak undisturbed for a few hours, or even overnight.
- Once you soak the gold rings in this solution for a few hours, remove the rings one by one and scrub them very gently using a clean, soft toothbrush, like a baby brush. Be very gentle when cleansing your gold rings, as they are prone to scratching and damage.
- Lastly, rinse off your gold rings under running water till the water runs clear.
- Either allow your gold rings to air dry, or use a soft cloth like a microfiber cloth to dry your gold rings. Avoid using tissues or paper towels to dry your gold rings, as it may scratch or leave little marks on your delicate gold ring.
- Take a polishing cloth and gently buff your gold rings individually. Remember to keep turning the cloth so that you are polishing your gold ring with a new piece of the cloth every time.
How to polish your gold rings using shampoo
For a quick and easy solution to polish your gold rings, you can use your mild shampoo at home to do this! Here is how you can do it:
- In a small bowl, add some warm water and a few drops of a mild shampoo. You can even add a very gentle shampoo like baby shampoo for this method.
- Mix this well with the water to create a soapy solution.
- Take your gold rings and gently dip them into this cleaning solution for 10 minutes.
- Take a soft-bristled brush and gently scrub your gold ring thoroughly, going into all the sides, corners and crevices, and even under the rim of the gold ring. Make sure you don’t scrub too hard, as you don’t want to scratch your gold ring, but clean the ring thoroughly using the solution.
- Rinse out the rings under cold water till the water runs completely clear.
- Take a soft, lint-free cloth and gently dry your gold rings. You can even choose to air dry the rings if you want to.
- Use a jewelers cloth or a polishing cloth to buff your gold rings and restore their shine and polish to them once again.
How to polish your gold rings using club soda
Here is another excellent method you can use at home to polish and clean your gold rings. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and add some club soda in it.
- Now, gently place your gold rings into the bowl and allow them to soak undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the gold rings one by one and brush them using a soft-bristled brush or a baby brush. Do this with all the gold rings before you rinse them off.
- Rinse all your gold rings under running water and allow them to air dry.
- Finally, take a polishing cloth and buff your gold rings so that they shine like new once again!
How to polish your gold rings using vinegar
While vinegar can be quite acidic, you can use this method occasionally to clean and polish your gold jewelry. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and add water and white distilled vinegar to it in equal parts, so that you dilute the vinegar.
- Dip your gold rings into this solution and allow them to soak for a maximum of 10 minutes only. At occasional intervals, stir the bowl slightly so that the vinegar works on your gold rings.
- Remove your rings from the bowl and rinse them using cold water only.
- Dry the gold rings using a lint-free soft cloth and use a polishing cloth to polish and buff your gold rings. It will return the shine and polish back to your gold rings once again!
How to polish gold from scratches
If you wear your gold rings regularly, you know that they tend to get scratches. But don’t worry, you can easily remove these scratches from your gold rings and make them as right as new.
Take a soft, lint-free cloth and dip it in a jug of warm, soapy water. Use this to clean your gold rings and then dry them thoroughly. Take a professional polishing cloth and start to slowly buff and polish your gold rings.
In case you still see scratches, you can always use a gentle polishing tool to buff out and remove any scratches from your gold rings!
How often should you polish your gold rings
When it comes to cleaning your gold rings, you should have a more regular routine of gentle cleaning with soapy water about once in two or three weeks. However, you can choose to polish your gold rings once in six months only.
Gold is a very soft metal, and over cleaning and polishing can cause more damage than good. Of course, you can give your gold rings a gentle polishing if you think they are looking dull and losing their shine.
Be sure to use a lint-free, gold polishing cloth only, as other kinds of material may cause more scratches on your beautiful gold rings.
How to polish gold with Dremel
Dremel is an excellent polishing formula that contains polymers, gentle enough to not damage your gold rings but still powerful enough to give them a thorough cleaning.
To begin, place your gold rings in the dip tray and dip them for 30 seconds in a container of lukewarm water and mild soap. Use the brush to clean your gold rings, but remember not to scrub too hard as you might scratch it. Clean the rings with water and dry thoroughly.
Now, apply some Dremel cleaner on your gold ring and clean it with the inner part of your polishing cloth, removing dirt and grime. Finally, use the darker side of the polishing cloth for achieving the best shine and polish on your gold rings!