Baby bottles and nipples are an extremely crucial part of your baby’s life at a certain stage, and these items are used regularly during this growing and teething period. However, these are the two items which are capable of infesting a ton of bacteria and germs inside them, making it absolutely essential to sterilize them regularly. Here are some easy homemade methods on how to properly clean baby bottles and nipples. Furthermore, you can read reviews of the best sterilizers (such as the Philips AVENT) you can buy from Amazon today.
How to properly clean baby bottles with hot water
Boiling water can often be the best, chemical-free agent to clean your baby bottles and nipples. Here is how you can do it.
- Use warm water along wish dishwashing soap to manually wash the baby bottle and nipples. You can even use a soft scrub brush to remove any formula or milk residue that might have caked itself to the bottle or the nipple.
- Rinse the bottle and the nipple and place them in a pot filled with water. Fill up enough water to ensure that both the bottle and the nipples are completely submerged in water.
- Switch on the gas and put it on the highest setting such that the water reaches a boil. Let the items sit in this boiling water for at least five minutes to ensure that they have been completely sterilized.
- Remove the sterilized baby bottle and nipples from the water carefully. You can use tongs to do this to eliminate the risk of injuring yourself.
- Place the baby bottles and the nipples on a clean, soft towel and allow them to completely air dry. Ensure that all the droplets of water have dried completely before giving it to your baby.
If you are not comfortable doing this, continue reading. There are special steam sterilizers that will make this much easier.
How to clean baby bottles and nipples in a microwave
While this method typically requires you to buy a steamer, you can also use a DIY method to steam your baby bottle and nipples in a microwave without a steamer.
- Wash the baby bottles and nipples in a solution of warm water and dishwashing soap and rinse it out well.
- Fill up the baby bottles with water only half way through to the entire bottle.
- Place the nipples in a microwave-safe bowl filled halfway through with some water.
- Run a cycle on your microwave for about 4 minutes, and allow the items to sit for another few minutes before taking them out and placing them on a towel to air dry.
- Ensure that your microwave is completely clean and free of any dirt, germs or bacteria when using this method. You can manually clean your microwave just before steaming the baby bottles and nipples to ensure that your microwave is completely clean and safe for using this method.
How to clean baby bottles and nipples using white vinegar
This method can work pretty great if you have some white vinegar at home and can use a dishwasher for this method. Of course, it is extremely crucial to mention that you must ensure that you use a diluted solution of vinegar for this method.
- Place the baby bottles and the nipples in your dishwasher.
- Add a solution of diluted vinegar to the dishwasher. Create a solution by adding a ratio of 1:10 of vinegar and water.
- Run the dishwasher on a normal cycle, and remove the baby bottle and nipples carefully.
- Rinse out the baby bottles and nipples once to ensure that all traces of vinegar have been washed away.
- Allow the clean baby bottles and nipples to air dry.
Best sterilizers for baby bottles and nipples
Most of the solutions mentioned above are some of the easiest and best working DIY home remedies to sterilizing your baby’s bottles and nipples. However, if you prefer to use special sterilizer to do this, here is our pick of the 3 best products to sterilize and clean baby bottles and nipples.
Wabi Baby Steam Sanitizer Sterilizer and Dryer
An easy to use, the Wabi Baby Steam Sterilizier is a convenient option for sterilizing your baby bottles and nipples within a few minutes. The dryer option on the sterilizer is also a great benefit which dries up your products conveniently.
- Fits 8 standard baby bottles
- Smart sensor with auto shut off feature
- Sterilizes within 8 to 15 minutes
- 3 different drying options
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 12 x 9.5 x 14 inches
- A storage function allows you to safely keep your bottles in the product
- One touch button controls for ease of use
- Different functions for different requirements; 3 drying options
- The product is slightly bulky and can take up some space on the counter; however, the large space inside the product allows you to sterilize multiple products at the same time.
An easy sterilizer, dryer and storage unit for baby bottles and nipples. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Philips Avent 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer
The Philips Avent sterilizer is a versatile and functional steam sterilizer which completes a sterilization cycle within just 6 minutes!
- 3 in 1 adjustable modular design of the product
- A storage compartment for your products for 24 hours, keeping them sterile if the lid is unopened
- Auto shut off to conserve power
- Weight: 1 pound
- Dimensions: 6.3 x 11.4 x 13.8 inches
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Fast working 6-minute cycle
- Adjustable size
After running a cycle, you need to wait for 10 minutes for the machine to cool down before using it again for a new cycle. However, this is only done for your safety, and it is possible for you to place multiple products inside the machine to sterilize many baby bottles and nipples at the same time without having to wait for another cycle.
If a fast working sterilizer is what you are looking for, this product is ideal! It will help you clean your baby bottles in so fast. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
UPANG Premium UV Waterless Baby Bottle Sterilizer
A two in one sterilizer, UPANG’s baby bottle sterilizer, sterilizes baby bottles and nipples using a UV light as well as dries them in the same machine.
- Technology: UV Rays and low-temperature drying
- Weight: 12.2 pounds
- 19.5 x 15.5 x 14 inches
- 3 uses: ventilation, sterilization, and drying
- Very easy to clean and maintain
- An automatic function which remembers your last used option and uses it again for a one-touch easy program
- Fits in 8 bottles in once!
The drying function can take some time, especially if you are in a hurry, however, if you simply wipe down the bottles manually once or shake off the excess water before placing it for drying, the time consumed is much less.
A dual light UV sanitizer with a drying function. This is an easy to use tool for all homes and will promise you clean baby bottles. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
If you have suggestions on how to clean baby bottles please share them with us in the comment section below.
Wow. Thanks you so much for your helpful shearing post!
It’s a fact that a baby’s immune system is not yet fully developed, and babies are more susceptible to infection and illness than an older child or adult. Cleanliness is therefore very important when preparing their bottles. However, there are a few different ways of cleaning the bottles out there. Based on your experience, which one do you think is best?