Did you know that your plastic shower curtains are highly susceptible to developing mold and mildew simply because of their constant exposure to moisture, soap scum, and damp conditions? Wherever there is moisture, mold can thrive. If you are looking for ways on how to remove mold from plastic shower curtain, then read on, as you will find out all the methods to efficiently remove mold from your plastic shower curtains.
You will also read about ceratin mold removing products, such as the RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Remover, that can help you get rid of the mold as well as prevent future growth on your plastic shower curtain.
Is mold on shower curtain dangerous?
Mold growing on your shower curtain is extremely dangerous, and you must get rid of it with the right cleaning products at the earliest. Mold not only makes your shower curtains look dull and faded and even leaves behind nasty stains, but it is also an allergen. Breathing in this mold can be very dangerous to anyone.
Since the mold is so small and almost invisible, it can also be challenging to detect. Even the non-toxic mold growing on your shower curtain can make you sick, as you can breathe it in, affecting your respiratory system in the long run.
Why does my shower curtain get moldy?
Mold grows anywhere where it can receive moisture, darkness, and a damp environment. It is quite common to find mold growing on your shower curtains, especially if you are in the habit of leaving your shower curtains moist after you bathe.
The best way to prevent mold from growing on your shower curtain is to wipe them down regularly with a good mold remover and cleaner, and ventilating your bathroom after a shower so that the water does not get a chance to stay on the curtains. Proper ventilation and a good cleaner will ensure that your shower curtains do not get moldy.
Now if it is too late to prevent and you need to get rid of the mold, here are a few tricks you can use today!
How to wash your moldy plastic shower curtain
One of the simplest ways to get rid of the mold from your plastic shower curtain is by simply washing it.
- Put the shower curtain in the washing machine
- Add one or two towels in the washing machine as well. These will get in contact with the curtain and cause friction which will improve the mold removal.
- In the detergent compartment, pour 1/2 cup of detergent and 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
- Set the washing machine on a gentle cycle and let it do its magic.
How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtain using bleach
One of the most common methods you can use to remove the mold from your plastic shower curtains is to use bleach. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtain from its hooks and place it in your washing machine along with a couple of towels or washcloths. These will act as a natural, mild scrubbing agent and help you remove the mold.
- Add 1/4th cup of laundry detergent along with ½ a cup of chlorine bleach with warm water.
- Run a normal wash cycle on the lowest temperature setting, as you are washing plastic shower curtains.
- Run the cycle for just 10 minutes, once it has run its course, immediately dry your shower curtains outside. Do not tumble dry your plastic shower curtains as they will damage.
- Remember to keep your bathroom well ventilated when you are using this method as the bleach can cause irritation in your eyes or your skin.
How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtain using vinegar and baking soda
One of the best methods for removing mold from your plastic shower curtains is by using a mixture of baking soda and vinegar. It not only removes the mold but destroys the mold spores entirely so that they do not reappear. Here is how you can do it:
- The first step you need to take is to put 1 cup of distilled white vinegar into your washing machine along with warm water and run it in the first rinse cycle without anything else.
- Once you have done this, remove your shower curtains from its hooks and place it into your washing machine along with a few towels.
- Add ½ cup laundry detergent and a ½ cup of baking soda into the washing machine along with warm water.
- Remove your shower curtains from the washing machine before it goes into the spin cycle.
- Allow your plastic shower curtains to dry naturally by hanging them outside.
How to remove mold from your shower curtains using hydrogen peroxide
With this method, you can manually wash your plastic shower curtains using a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtains from their hooks and place them on a flat surface in your bathroom.
- Create a solution of 2 parts of hydrogen peroxide and 1 part of water and mix it well. Add this solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray your shower curtain generously with this hydrogen peroxide and water solution.
- Allow it to sit undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- Take another small bowl and create a paste made of baking soda and water. Add the baking soda to the pot first, and slowly add water and mix it till you form a paste-like consistency.
- Take a scrub brush and scrub your plastic shower curtain with this baking soda and water paste. Be careful not to rub it too hard as you don’t want to damage your shower curtains in the process. Use gentle, circular motions to scrub your shower curtains and remove the mold from it.
- Once you are done scrubbing, rinse off your shower curtains thoroughly.
- Allow your shower curtains to air dry by hanging them outside.
How to remove mold from your shower curtains using borax
Another excellent method of removing mold from your shower curtains is to use borax. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtains from its hooks and take it outside. Brush off the dried mold which you can see on the shower curtains. For this process, you can wear protective eye gear and a mask so that you do not inhale the mold spores. Do not do this method indoors, as you will redistribute the mold spores in your home.
- Fill up your washing machine halfway with warm water, and then add cold water to the rest of the washing machine. You should not use boiling water as this will set the mold even further into your shower curtains.
- Now, place the shower curtain into your washing machine along with a few towels.
- Add ½ a cup of laundry detergent along with borax into your washing machine.
- Run one wash cycle, and then rinse off the shower curtain with cold water only.
- Once you have done this, allow your shower curtains to air dry naturally outdoors.
- Place your shower curtains to dry in direct sunlight, as this will get rid of any remaining mold spores from your shower curtains.
How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtains using oxygen bleach
Finally, you can use this natural method involving oxygen bleach to remove mold from your shower curtains. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtain from its hook in the bathroom and place it outdoors. Take a brush and brush out any visible mold from the shower curtain. Make sure you are wearing protective eye gear and a mask while you are doing this.
- In your bathtub, fill up 2 quarts of hot water and add 4 tablespoons of oxygen bleach into it.
- Place your shower curtain into the tub and allow it to soak for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the shower curtain from your bathtub and squeeze out the excess water and oxygen bleach from the curtains.
- Fill up your tub with fresh, warm water and rinse out your shower curtain in this.
- Finally, remove the shower curtain but don’t wring it to remove the excess water. Simply place your shower curtain outside to dry.
How to prevent mold on your shower curtain
Take a look at this awesome video that has a few cool tips that will help you a lot:
What are the best products for removing mold on plastic shower curtains?
Although the methods we described above will help you out, sometimes you may need professional help. Here are the products we use and can happily recommend to anyone:
RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Remover
Need an easy to use, no scrub formula for removing the mold from your plastic shower curtain? RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Remover is our top pick when it comes to a convenient and hassle-free mold removing formula. You will notice amazing results even with the first time you use the RMR-86. It also works great on preventing future mold growth, and potential bacteria on the curtain.Check the price on Amazon
A few sprays of RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Remover works like magic to get rid of all kinds of mold and its stains from your shower curtains. Spray the formula directly on your curtains after using your shower every morning, let it sit for a couple of seconds, and work its magic, and that’s it! You don’t even need to scrub or use a brush. Spray and watch the mold stains disappear!
Due to how durable the formula is, you will also need proper protection like a face mask and ventilation. Spray RMR-86, and walk away to see the best results!
Why We Like It:
- No scrubbing or sanding formula
- Easy-to-use spray bottle
- You don’t need other cleaning tools or dilution for this solution
- Fast working formula- works in just 15 seconds
What We Don’t Like:
- The smell of the product, due to its powerful formula, is overpowering and can irritate your respiratory system
The fix: Thankfully, you don’t need to scrub or wait for the formula to work. Just spray, keep proper ventilation in your bathroom, and walk away!
Why You Should Get It:
When it comes to finding the easiest and fastest working formula for removing mold from your plastic shower curtains, RMR-86 Mold and Mildew Remover is the best option for you on the market. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover
Another excellent formula to help you remove all traces of mold and mildew stains from your plastic shower curtains is TilexMold and Mildew Remover. The solution comes in an easy to use spray bottle formula, which you can use straight from the bottle. You don’t need to worry about scrubbing this formula into your shower curtains, spray and watch the mold stains disappear.
Another excellent formula to help you remove all traces of mold and mildew stains from your plastic shower curtains is TilexMold and Mildew Remover. The solution comes in an easy to use spray bottle formula, which you can use straight from the bottle. You don’t need to worry about scrubbing this formula into your shower curtains, spray and watch the mold stains disappear.Check the price on Amazon
TilexMold and Mildew Remover is a powerful, yet gentle formula, which means that it will not damage your plastic shower curtains over time. Not only that, but the formula also helps you to clean and disinfect your shower curtains. Use it regularly or as you need; spray the formula directly on your shower curtains and let it work on its own without any intervention.
Tilex comes in a great Smart Tube technology that allows you to use every drop of the product without any wastage. Use this formula regularly on your shower curtains to completely reverse the growth of mildew and mold from your shower.
Why We Like It:
- Easy to use spray bottle formula
- Smart Tube Technology ensures that there is no wastage of product
- Not only kills mold and mildew but also helps clean and disinfect your plastic shower curtains
- Works within minutes of using the formula
What We Don’t Like:
- A powerful smelling formula which can be challenging to be around
The fix: Spray TilexMold and Mildew Remover on your shower curtains regularly and keep the exhaust fan or window open in your bathroom to allow the smell to disappear within a few minutes naturally.
Why You Should Get It:
For a formula that is so economical yet so powerful and fast working, TilexMold and Mildew Remover is a really great product to have in your home if you have mold and mildew problems on your shower curtains. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Home Armor Mildew Stain Remover
There are many excellent mold remover formulas on the market which work great but can also discolor your beautiful shower curtains because of the presence of bleach. Home Armor Mildew Stain Remover does exactly what you want – removes mold and mildew stains from your shower curtains, without causing discoloration! If you are looking for a mild formula for daily use, this is it!Check the price on Amazon
Home Armor Mildew Stain Remover does not contain any bleach, making it a safe product to use on your colorful shower curtains without any worry. The best part about this product is that it not only kills the mold, removes its stains, but also adds an extra shine to your shower curtains.
Using this formula is also very quick- spray it directly on your plastic shower curtains, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe it off using a cloth or a brush. After this, apply another thin mist of Home Armor Mildew Stain Remover on your curtains to protect it from any future growth of mold and mildew!
Why We Like It:
- Bleach free solution to use on your shower curtains
- Does not discolor or damage the curtain
- Removes mold stains and protects it against further growth
- Leaves behind an extra shine after usage
What We Don’t Like:
- Since the product does not contain bleach, it might not work as fast as other mold removing formulas
The fix: If you can spray the same area twice or thrice with this formula regularly, you will find the mold and mildew completely removed from your shower curtains.
Why You Should Get It:
If you are not too fond of the strong-smelling bleach formulas for removing mold from your shower curtains, especially if you have children in the house or are sensitive to smells, the Home ArmorMold and Mildew Remover is an excellent option for your home. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.