If you have a porcelain bathtub at home, then you already know how difficult it can be to clean and maintain its beautiful, untouched look. Rust stains can be like the devil for those who own beautiful porcelain bathtubs at home. However, if your tub is suffering from this condition and you want to know some remedies on how to remove rust stains from porcelain bathtub, then here is everything you need to know!
We personally use the Iron Out Rust Stain Remover. It is an amazing product when you are dealing with rust stains. You can read more about our impressions with this rust remover further down in the article. Before that, here is a bit of helpful information around the topic at hand.
Is rust in bathtub harmful
Rust not only looks and smells bad, but it is also very harmful to humans. If you have rust in your bathtub, it can be especially dangerous since your bathtub is something you use regularly. The rust in your bathtub can expose you or your family to high levels of lead, which is really dangerous.
It is essential to get rid of all the rust from your bathtub correctly, especially if you are using your tub regularly. You can do this with the help of a good rust remover. Regular bathing in a rusty bathtub can have a lot of adverse effects on your skin, hair, nails, etc.
Best rust removers for porcelain bathtubs
In this article, you will find a few tricks that will do a big difference when trying to get rid of those nasty rust stains from your porcelain bathtub. But sometimes this is not enough. Sometimes you might need to get a professional rust removing solution. Here are the ones we use and can recommend with confidence:
Iron Out Rust Stain Remover
If you are dealing with the most stubborn rust stains on your porcelain bathtub, then you need a heavy-duty rust stain remover. Iron Out is the perfect product for this. It comes in a powder, and it is very versatile. Just sprinkle it over the stained area and let it do its magic. You can use it in your bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room. The product is made in the USA, and it is safe for septic systems.Check the price on Amazon
It can be a tough job to remove rust stains from a porcelain bathtub. However, Iron Out Rust Stain Remover helps you do just that within minutes. Iron Out, comes in an excellent powder form, which allows you to remove the massive buildup of rust from your bathtub easily.
All you need to do is create an easy-to-use paste with hot water and Iron Out Rust Stain Remover. The formula works automatically, and you don’t even need to scrub with a brush! The significant part about this solution is how well it works on even the toughest of rust stains from your porcelain bathtub.
While the formula is potent, it is also gentle- it will absolutely not damage your beautiful porcelain bathtub. The rust stain remover is safe to use in your home. Within the first application, you will see a visible difference! In case of tougher rust stains, let the paste soak for a little longer to see optimal results!
Why We Like It:
- Easy to use powder formula
- Does not damage the porcelain
- Removes the toughest of rust stains within the first application
- No scrubbing formula
What We Don’t like:
- In case of very old or stubborn rust stains, the first application may not altogether remove all the rust from your porcelain bathtub.
The fix: Apply the Iron Out Rust Stain Remover paste on the flat areas of your bathtub and cover it with plastic. Let it sit for a few hours before rinsing it out to altogether remove tough rust stains.
Why You Should Get It:
When it comes to removing even the toughest of rust stains from your beautiful porcelain bathtub, Iron Out Rust Stain Remover is one of the best options. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser
Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser is another excellent cleaner that can remove rust stains from porcelain. This is a versatile multifunctional cleaner that you can use all-around your home. Works on all kinds of surfaces and not just porcelain. If you want a product that can remove rust stains, but also tackle other stains as well, then you need to check it out. It is a great all-round cleaner.Check the price on Amazon
Removing rust stains from your porcelain bathtub does not have to be a task you dread any longer. Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser is a great formula that works wonders to remove all kinds of dirt, grime, and most importantly- rust, from porcelain.
Bar Keepers Friend is very safe to use. It will not damage, corrode, or discolor the porcelain bathtub. However, using it in the right way will ensure that all traces of rust and its stains are entirely out!
It is straightforward to use this unique formula. Pour Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser on a damp sponge. Gently scrub the rust stain area on your porcelain bathtub for just about one minute. Rinse it off with clean water and allow it to dry. In case you still find any stubborn stains, repeat the process once again.
The best part about Bar Keepers Friend is just how fast this formula works. No more wasting time, energy, and money scrubbing the rust off your porcelain bathtubs! The formula contains no harsh chemicals, so you don’t have to worry about damage ever again.
Why We Like It:
- High-speed working formula- works within one minute
- No need for scrubbing
- A powerful cleaner, yet gentle on porcelain
- Thick liquid formula clings to the porcelain surface for longer surface contact
What We Don’t Like:
- The formula can be an irritant to your skin under constant use.
The fix: Wear protective gloves while using Bar Keepers Friend to protect your skin from the formula, and continue using it as usual!
Why You Should Get It:
The thick liquid formula of Bar Keepers Friend is absolutely excellent for porcelain bathtubs. It removes even the oldest and most stubborn rust stains within one minute! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Green Gobbler Rust Away
Green Gobbler Rust Away is another excellent rust remover. This is a multipurpose iron stain remover that you can use on your porcelain bathtub as well as other surfaces in your bathroom. No need for scrubbing. Just let the solution sit for about two hours on the rust-stained area, and it will do wonders. The product is entirely safe for your pipes and septic systems.Check the price on Amazon
If you don’t understand the perfect measurements of powder or liquid stain removal formulas, then Green Gobbler Rust Away is a lifesaving product for you. The rust remover formula comes in small packages containing the exact amount of liquid you need for one cleaning session! Open the package, pour the liquid, and watch the rust stains disappear!
When it comes to removing the rust stains from your bathtub, you need a really gentle yet powerful solution. Thankfully, Green Gobbler Rust Away is just what that is- in a small package! In as little as two hours, you will find your porcelain bathtub looking as good as new without any rust stains.
The fast working formula is completely biodegradable and safe to use in your bathtubs. You don’t have to worry about damaging the tub or the environment. Use Green Gobbler Rust Away in your bathtub and get rid of all rust stains within just two hours. Since the formula comes in little pods, you never have to worry about underusing or overusing the product, causing wastage.
Why We Like It:
- Safe and biodegradable formula
- Fast working solution- works in just two hours
- No scrubbing formula
- Comes in little pods; no wastage of product
What We Don’t Like:
- For stubborn rust stains, simply one pod might not be enough for adequate results.
The fix: Thankfully, the package comes with 6 pods, so you can use more than one pod if necessary for the more stubborn stains in your bathtub!
Why You Should Get It:
Whether the rust stains in your porcelain bathtub are relatively new or years old, Green Gobbler Rust Away helps you remove them all within just 2 hours! Easy to use pod packages are just a bonus! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
How to remove rust stains using cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide
- Take three teaspoons of cream of tartar and three teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide in a small bowl.
- Using a spoon, mix the two ingredients well till it forms the consistency of cake frosting.
- Spread this paste evenly and generously over the rust stains on your porcelain bathtub.
- Let the dough sit on the rust stains undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- Now, you can either take a clean pumice stone or a nylon brush. Using either of these two, start to gently scrub the rust stains using the paste that you have created. You will see that the rust stains are slowly starting to come off.
- Continue to buff the area till you know that you have obliterated the rust stains from your porcelain bathtub.
- Rinse off the paste with water and dry the area using a towel.
How to remove rust stains using vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice
- Take a small bowl and add some white, distilled vinegar to it.
- Now, add a small amount of baking soda into this. The solution will start to fizz.
- Apply this solution directly on to the rust-stained areas on your porcelain bathtub. Let this sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes while the vinegar uses its acidity to cut at the rust stains and help you remove them quickly.
- Take a nylon brush and scrub the rust stains from the porcelain bathtub. Use gentle, circular motions to clean at the rust stains, however, be careful not to use too much pressure as you might end up damaging your porcelain surface due to the abrasive action of the baking soda.
- You will find that most of the rust stains are gone from your porcelain bathtub. If you find any persistent stains, add some lemon juice directly on to the same area and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Scrub the portion once again to remove the rest of the rust stains easily. Now, rinse out the bathtub and allow it to dry.
How to remove rust stains from your porcelain bathtub using lemon and salt
- Cut a few lemons in half and squeeze them directly over the rust-stained area on your porcelain bathtub. You can also choose to squeeze out the juice in a small bowl first, and then pour this directly over the rust stains.
- Take some regular table salt and sprinkle it over the same rust-stained areas on your bathtub.
- Let it sit undisturbed for 3 hours.
- Take a microfiber cloth and start to scrub away at the rust stains. The salt will act as a mild abrasive, and the lemon juice will help you cut away at the rust stains and make it so much easier for you to remove.
- Finally, take an old toothbrush. Add some more lemon juice if you need to the areas where any rust stains are still persistent.
- Using the old toothbrush, you can start to scrub the rust stains away using circular motions gently. Keep adding more lemon juice and salt if you feel the surface becoming dry.
- Rinse out the area with water and dry your porcelain bathtub.
How to remove rust stains from your porcelain bathtub using hydrogen peroxide
- Take a minimal amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Make sure to wear protective gloves and an eye mask when you do this, as hydrogen peroxide can be quite dangerous for you to handle. If you can, keep the bathroom well ventilated so that you do not have any problems breathing while you are using this cleaning method.
- Apply the hydrogen peroxide directly on to the rust stains on your porcelain bathtub. You should let this sit undisturbed for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take a pumice stone or a nylon brush and start scrubbing at the rust stains. You will see that the rust stains are coming off quite quickly.
- Once you have removed all the rust stains, rinse the porcelain bathtub well using water and dry it off with towels.
How to remove rust stains from your porcelain bathtub using borax
- In a small bowl, take one tablespoon of borax and mix warm water with it to make a thick paste.
- Using a spatula or a brush, apply this paste on top of the rust stains on your porcelain bathtub. Make sure that you cover the stains completely with this paste.
- Allow this paste to sit undisturbed for 30 minutes
- Now, taking another big bowl or a bucket, create a soapy, sudsy solution of water and soap. You can even use a mild shampoo if you wish to.
- You do not need to scrub the borax paste from the bathtub. Instead, using the soapy solution, simply rinse out the borax paste solution from your porcelain bathtub.
How to remove rust stains from your porcelain bathtub using rubbing alcohol
- In a spray bottle, mix rubbing alcohol with water in a 3:1 ratio. Create a special porcelain bathtub cleaner by mixing this solution well.
- Spray this solution directly on to the rust-stained area on your porcelain bathtub.
- Allow it to sit undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- Now, take an old rag or some paper towels and blot out the solution. You will see that the rust stains from the porcelain are also getting blotted into the paper towels.
- Continue to add more of the solution you have created and blot it out with paper towels till you have completely removed all the rust stains from your porcelain bathtub.
You can use all these tips to any porcelain object in your homes, such as sinks, toilet bowls or even tiles.