Polyester is a fun and versatile material used to make bags, clothes, toys, and many other everyday items. However, when you spill something on your beautiful polyester items, you can get into a rut thinking about how to remove the stain and make it look like new again. If you are looking for solutions on how to remove stains from polyester, here is everything you need to know about it.
We will also share with you some of the cleaners we use such as the Puracy Natural Stain Remover. This is a great cleaner for removing all kinds of stains from polyester. You can read more about this further down in this article. Before that, there are a few homemade solutions!
How to remove a stain from polyester using isopropyl alcohol
The first method that you can use to remove any stains from your polyester items is to use isopropyl alcohol to do the job. Here is how you can do it:
- Place your polyester item on top of another dry, clean cloth or rag, or a few paper towels.
- Take a clean white cloth and dip it in a solution of 90% isopropyl alcohol. Of course, if you don’t have it, you can also use 70% isopropyl alcohol for the same.
- Dab the stain gently, starting from the outer part of the stain slowly moving inwards. Keep changing the area of the white cloth which you are using the dab the stain with so that you always have a new area to work with.
- Once you complete blotting out most of the stains from the polyester material, take it to your sink or bathtub.
- Fill the sink or bathtub with warm water and add a few drops of any laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid. Mix this well to create a soapy solution and place your polyester item inside it.
- Allow it to soak for a few minutes, then, using an old toothbrush or a scrubbing brush, scrub the area where the stain was thorough.
- Rinse out the stain under cold water till it is completely gone.
- Finally, allow the item to dry completely.
How to remove a stain from polyester using vinegar and dishwashing soap
Vinegar is a great cleaning agent for most things, and it works wonders to remove stains from your polyester items as well. Here is how you can do it:
- In a small bowl of water, add 1 cup of warm water, 1 cup of vinegar, and 1 tablespoon or a few drops of any dishwashing liquid. Mix all of the ingredients together to create your stain, removing the solution.
- Place your polyester item under a white cloth or some paper towels.
- Apply the stain removing solution directly on top of the stain on your polyester item and allow it to soak for 15 to 20 minutes undisturbed.
- Now, rub the fabric together to try and remove as much of the stain as possible. In case some stain still persists, add more of the stain-removing solution on it. Take an old toothbrush and begin to scrub the stain, however, be careful that you don’t damage the polyester while doing so.
- Finally, rinse the item under cold water and rub the fabric together to remove the stain and the soap from it.
- Launder the item as you would and allow it to air dry naturally.
How to remove a stain from polyester using baking soda
Here is another excellent solution that you can use to remove any kind of stains from your polyester items. Here is how you can do it:
- In a small bowl, add 2 parts of cold water and just 1 part baking soda. Mix this well to create your solution. Baking soda works wonders to remove stains effectively from your clothes without being too harsh or abrasive on the fabric if you use it correctly.
- Rub the baking soda solution directly on your polyester item where the stain is. Allow it to soak for a few minutes.
- Rinse the area under cold water.
- Create a mixture of dishwashing soap and water and soak the area in this mixture for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rub the area once again with a scrubbing brush, an old toothbrush, or directly with your fingers, and then rinse it out under cold water again.
- If the stain is gone, then you can launder the cloth again if you wish to, and then allow it to air dry naturally.
How to remove a stain from polyester using ammonia
Ammonia can be a great cleaning agent who can help you remove stains from your polyester items easily. Here is how you can do it:
- First, blot off as much of the stain as you can using paper towels.
- Take a bucket and mix in a quart of warm water, a few drops or ½ teaspoon of a dishwashing liquid, and 1 tablespoon of ammonia. Mix this well to create a secure and effective stain-removing solution.
- Soak the area with the stain in this cleaning solution for a few minutes. Take an old toothbrush and very gently, using feather strokes, brush out the area with the stain.
- Rinse out the same area under cold water and then launder the item normally.
- Finally, allow the polyester item to air dry naturally.
How to remove a stain from polyester using borax
Another great solution to removing any kind of stains from your polyester items is to use a paste made of borax and water. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a spoon or a spatula and scrape off as much of the solid residue or stain that you can from the item.
- Then, take some paper towels and blot off the remaining stain using light pressure. Remove as much of the excess liquid or stain that you can by using this method.
- In a small bowl, add some borax and start by adding some water to create a paste-like solution.
- Take this solution and apply it directly over the stain on your polyester item.
- Let this sit undisturbed for about 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, check on the stain to see how much of it is working.
- Finally, rinse off the cleaning paste under cold water and launder your item as usual. Allow the item to air dry naturally.
Special cleaners for cleaning polyester
Although the methods above are doing a good job, sometimes you may encounter a tougher stain or dirtier peace of polyester. Luckily there are a few cleaners that will save your elbows and hands from scrubbing. These are our favorites:
Puracy Natural Stain Remover
If you are looking for an all-natural, completely organic solution to removing stains from polyester, then Puracy Natural Stain Remover is a great product to look into. Puracy contains all-natural plant enzymes that tackle the stained area right from the root – removing the tiny particles of staining and fighting odor naturally at the same time. Puracy Natural is our favorite cleaner!Check the price on Amazon
Using harsh chemicals or perfumes can often do more harm than good to your fabrics, such as polyester. Puracy Natural Stain Remover does not have any harsh chemicals, alcohol, perfumes, or petroleum, which can damage your polyester items. The colors and textures on your fabric are kept looking as good as new after using Puracy Natural Stain Remover.
The formula is super easy to use since it comes in a handy spray bottle solution. Spray Puracy Natural Stain Remover directly on the stains on your polyester item- and then launder it as and when you find the time! The formula in Puracy ensures that you don’t need to worry about the stain becoming permanent on your fabrics every again.
Why We Like It:
- Naturally removes stains and odors
- Spray and walk away- launder your polyester items whenever you wish
- It is a biodegradable formula as well as a recyclable spray bottle
- No harsh chemicals, alcohol or perfume
What We Don’t Like:
- In case of more stubborn stains and odors, you will need to work on the stain a little more- merely spraying the area will not remove the stains
The fix: Spray Puracy Natural Stain Remover on the stain, use a soft brush to really work the formula into the fibers. Wait for a few hours (maximum of 8 hours) before laundering and rinsing out the solution. If you need, you can spray the formula once again before laundering.
Why You Should Get It:
Using an all-natural plant enzyme cleaner is a great step to cleaning your polyester naturally while also protecting the environment. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
OxiClean Max Force Laundry Stain Remover
When it comes to finding a hassle-free formula for removing stains from polyester, OxiClean is another great manufacturer. The Max Force Laundry Stain Remover is an excellent solution to your problems. The spray-on formula works great because it sticks to the surface of the fabric, allowing more surface contact and penetration of the formula into the fabric.Check the price on Amazon
The greatest thing about using OxiClean Max Force Laundry Stain Remover is that you can apply the solution on the stain on your fabric, and then leave it for about a week without worrying about it. Once you get the time, put the material for laundering as usual, and you will find all stains, odors, and marks from your polyester entirely out!
The product is easy to use as it comes in a handy spray bottle. It is super easy to use. For smaller, easily treatable stains, you can keep the solution for just 5 minutes before laundering. As for tougher stains, you can choose to pretreat the stain with OxiClean for a longer period of time!
Why We Like It:
- Works within 5 minutes of applying
- Great for polyester as well as other types of fabric
- The spray bottle is easy to use
- Works on most types of stains
What We Don’t Like:
- The smell of the formula can be a bit intense for some people
The fix: Dry your clothes after laundering in direct sunlight to get rid of the smell. You can also ventilate the room if you are drying your clothes inside the house. If you want, you can put a few drops of natural essential oil to remove the smell cleaner.
Why You Should Get It:
Removing stains from polyester has never been easier. OxiClean Max Force Laundry Stain Remover is easy to use and works within 5 minutes! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Resolve Multi-fabric Cleaner and Stain Remover
Resolve Cleaner and Stain Remover is another excellent cleaner for removing stains from polyester. When cleaning stains off your polyester fabric, you want to make sure that you don’t discolor, damage or fade the material. Resolve Cleaner and Stain Remover may not be the toughest stain remover out there, but it is one of the safest. If you are looking for a mild cleaner, this is it!
Resolve Cleaner and Stain Remover is another excellent cleaner for removing stains from polyester. When cleaning stains off your polyester fabric, you want to make sure that you don’t discolor, damage or fade the material. Resolve Cleaner and Stain Remover may not be the toughest stain remover out there, but it is one of the safest. If you are looking for a mild cleaner, this is it!Check the Price on Amazon
Resolve Cleaner and Stain Remover lifts away stains and odor from your polyester items with the help of a concentrated solution. You need just 2 to 3 ounces per gallon of water, and you can easily clean a whole load without wasting any product.
Apply Resolve formula directly on the stain on your polyester item. You should not over wet the fabric- dampen it slightly and apply the formula. Then, blot the stain using a sponge to lift all marks, and allow the fabric to dry naturally!
Why We Like It:
- High concentrate formula for powerful cleaning
- Easy to use spray bottle solution
- Lift stains and odors within minutes
- Mild, pleasant fragrance
What We Don’t Like:
- There may be an appearance of rings if you do not apply the formula evenly and spread it over the entire area
The fix: To prevent rings from appearing, instead of applying the formula just on the stain, cover the entire area around it as well. Blot and treat the stain immediately to avoid rings.
Why You Should Get It:
Remove all kinds of stains and odors from polyester easily with the help of Resolve Cleaner and Stain Remover. Dilute the formula as you need to treat the stains effectively. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.